Super Simple Square Wave?

Started by Arn C., November 07, 2006, 11:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn C.

Does anyone know what this sounds like?

Thanks!
Arn C.

MikeH

My friend built an amplifier; one channel-distortion only, 100w, solid state.  The preamp was loosely based on a hendrix fuzz.  2 silicon transistors, yadda yadda; that sort of thing, but tweeked a lot.  We hooked it up to his oscilloscope and it was a perfect square wave, which was exactly what he was going for.

It sounded horrible.

To answer more specifically; it sounded like the most horrible fuzz ever.  Sure was loud though.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Rafa

Download audacity its free, its a small 4mb more less multitrack program, there you can generate it with the frequency you want also triangle waves too.
Cheers
Rafa

Dragonfly

Quote from: Arn C. on November 07, 2006, 11:37:42 AM
Does anyone know what this sounds like?

Thanks!
Arn C.

from "Tim Escobedo's Circuit Snippets...."Super Simple Squarewave Shaper"...

THE SCHEMATIC IS HERE
HERE'S THE SOUND SAMPLE

Marcos - Munky

Yeah, Arn is asking about Tim's circuit. I built it a long time ago on breadboard, if I remember correct it have a kind of synth sound.

Arn C.

Thanks!  Just needed to hear it. Not a sound I am looking for tho!

Peace!
Arn C.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Like anything that just amps the signal hugely & squares it off, it is OK for a single note.... provided the note is reasonably clean, otherwise it is going to false trigger. There is a conflict in squarers between wanting some hysteresis to avoid switching on noise, and yet beign able to still operate as the input signal fades away.
Once you try compensating for this kind of thing, it's not 'simple' any more.

Johan

a slightly boosted signal sent into a schmitt-trigger...it cant do anything but squarewave..thats what schitt-triggers do..very "synth-like"...suggested this in the lounge a few years ago...even gave the idea a name.. Mr-Schmitt...

johan
DON'T PANIC

jmusser

I'm sure I've written it down before, but the Simple Square Wave Shaper is one of my all time favorites. It has sustain for a month, and synthy/fuzzy thing going on that I like a lot. Mine sounds quite a bit like the sample. It's a tone you have to like though, because it's output pretty much substitutes for any natural guitar tone. I don't like it for everything, but I use it quite a bit.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

JimRayden

Look at "PWM" on that same circuit snippets page. Yup, that's a Schmitt trigger.

----------
Jimbo

ThinkingMan

Quote from: MikeH on November 07, 2006, 02:17:20 PM
My friend built an amplifier; one channel-distortion only, 100w, solid state.  The preamp was loosely based on a hendrix fuzz.  2 silicon transistors, yadda yadda; that sort of thing, but tweeked a lot.  We hooked it up to his oscilloscope and it was a perfect square wave, which was exactly what he was going for.

It sounded horrible.

To answer more specifically; it sounded like the most horrible fuzz ever.  Sure was loud though.

What does it sounds like? Is there any audio examples of it, like what it sounds like if we put all the volume and fuzz to maximum?

If there's no example, what are the closest examples of modern fuzz pedals that sound similar to your friend's fuzz pedal?

antonis

Quote from: ThinkingMan on August 06, 2019, 02:45:51 AM
What does it sounds like?
I bet he can't recall it 13 years after..  :icon_wink:

P.S. Welcome..  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

ThinkingMan

Quote from: antonis on August 06, 2019, 05:04:41 AM
Quote from: ThinkingMan on August 06, 2019, 02:45:51 AM
What does it sounds like?
I bet he can't recall it 13 years after..  :icon_wink:

P.S. Welcome..  :icon_wink:

Oh my bad. I wanna know what perfect square waves actually sound like.

bluebunny

Quote from: ThinkingMan on August 06, 2019, 11:51:06 AM
Oh my bad. I wanna know what perfect square waves actually sound like.

There's probably a gazillion synth demos out there on YouTube.  Pick one (an analogue monosynth would be a good place to start) and listen for the bit where they say, "and this is the square wave".  Here's one comparing sine vs. square:

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...