Vox Valvetone V810

Started by Trancedental, November 07, 2006, 02:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trancedental

I've got a Vox Valvetone pedal & was wondering about what mods to make to get it to sound better.

I was wondering if anyone on here can give me some brief ideas on what mods to try first?

I'm looking for more wamth & clarity / sparkle & the tone control is useless (harsh)when you turn it up. If I could get more of a retro / brown sound even better.

Thanks

JHS

The V810 circuit is nearly a 1:1 clone of the TS-808 w true bypass and has the same sound as the TS-808.
Every known mod for the TS can be peformed on the 810, some mods are good most are plain crap.

Check the power supply first, often a cheap AC adapter or a varistor protected net distributer are the reason for a harsh/hard sound.

If you decide to mod the 810 then try some different chips first, the 810 should be equipped with a RC4558. Those RC4558 can vary in terms of sound from harsh to supersweet, maybe a bad/weak one is in your 810.

For more clarity add a 47p Silva Mica cap in series w one of the clipping diodes or reduce the 220n cap after IC1a to 100n, that will open up the sound.

For a more brownish sound (when powered with a 9V battery) reduce the 47uF filtercap in the bias divider to 10-22uF and eliminate the 100uF filtercap. The 810 will sound more brown/prganic if the 4,7k/47n RC-network is connected to ground instead to VREF.

BTW: the tonecontrol on every TS is nearly useless past 2-3 o'clock

JHS

Trancedental

Cheers JHS, I'm going to try a set of 10 TS opamps for a start & I'l try the other suggestions as well :icon_biggrin:

Trancedental

Quote from: JHS on November 07, 2006, 04:12:15 PM

For a more brownish sound (when powered with a 9V battery) reduce the 47uF filtercap in the bias divider to 10-22uF and eliminate the 100uF filtercap. The 810 will sound more brown/prganic if the 4,7k/47n RC-network is connected to ground instead to VREF.

Is this C5 & C7 on the schematic? Will this part of the mod work with AC Adaptor on? Sorry for the questions!

Also is the LED light 3mm or 5mm I'd like to get a much brighter one?

Cheers