Tonestack Calculator - BMP ?

Started by captntasty, November 07, 2006, 08:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captntasty

I just completed a GGG Big Muff based on the Sovtek Green version.  I started fooling with the Duncan TSC and found it to be a great tool - I'm totally geared to that sort of graphic representation when tweaking tone.  I had a difficult time applying what I see on the schematic to the schematic representation in the calculator - which caps and resistors are which?  I have checked here and elswhere for info but not much satisfied, although I picked up some good info about other topics along the way!  Can anybody point me in the right direction to equate the GGG schematic components to the TSC schematic?  I know it may be a no brainer that I should be able to figure out but I vary the component values in the TSC and dig the possibilities it presents, but, apparently don't have the brain power to truly figure it out in a way that I can rely on short of desoldering and resoldering everything.  Help, please :icon_redface: 
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

killerkev

I understand your pain. I'm still learning myself with a lot of this stuff. To answer your question the tone stack is located between Q3 & Q4. It consists of (From GGG schematic) C10, C11, R18, and R19. I am about to make my triangle BMP tomorrow (Etching). I plan on adding many pin slots to play with the tone stack among other areas.

captntasty

Awesome, thanks.  This is one of those ultra-modable effects and I'm just starting with it - moving on from months and months learning about and tweaking the fuzzface.  There are so many mods around for the BMP - if you haven't come across them, check for Yun's mods - that is search YUN and BMP and you'll get great ideas.  They all lead to really understanding how the individual components shape the effect whether it's in the tone section or clipping or......x.  Best of luck with the build.  I think it's one of Yun's - a mid control that I wish I had planned for before boxing it up - it adds another pot that effects the mid freq's and used in conjunction with the normal tonestack would offer even greater tonal flexibility.
Peace
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

captntasty

Still a little stumped by two values - Zsrc (generator source resistance) and R4.  Is Zsrc the resistance of everything that comes before the tonestack?  Is it a matter of taking a reading just before the tonestack then plug that in?  Is R4 the resistance of everything that comes after the tonestack or an actual component value?  I'm a tad confused by the omission of C12 (.1uf) - wouldn't this factor in to the overall tone and, if so, why not account for it in the calculator?  I know it's a lot of silly questions but I really want to know how this tone control functions from the inside rather than search for answers by picking a target (ex. more/less mids) and finding a mod (change X resistor/Y cap).  I'd really like to tailor the behavior of this tone control by using the calculator (even though I know it won't give me exact information it seems a great tool to alter the behavior and shape of tone in a general way).
Any help is much appreciated...