Expression & 'controller' pedal data?

Started by Paul Perry (Frostwave), November 08, 2006, 09:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

There is no standardisation between various expression pedals & controller pedals that plug into various FX.
Might be 50K pot, might be 500K pot, might be wired as volume control, might be single output socket (mono, or else tip ring sleeve) might be wired any damned way.
I'd love to see a list somewhere...... like here!
Because, then I could get on with designing FX designed to be used with existing controller pedals!!!!!!

Processaurus

Hey paul, I just got a

Boss EV-5:  single TRS cable, 10K pot wired as a voltage divider, wiper goes to the tip, ring gets the + from the pedal.  The minimum stting pot on the side I think is either a 50k or 100k, used as a variable resistor between one of the expression pedal pot's (the 10K) outer lugs to ground.

Line 6 ex-1:  single TS cable, reads like a variable 10K resistor to ground, but its a chinsey dual 20K pot wired up in parallel, one of them has a weird taper that doesn't change resistance until the very end of the pots travel, maybe to make it have a fool proof way to have it be a reliable 0 ohms at that end of its travel?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Moogerfoger:
100K, has a fixed cable output, tip ring sleeve, the ends of the pot go to ring & sleeve, the wiper goes to the tip. Linear pot. When depressed, tip to shield is 100K.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

bump bump!
come on guys, what other pedals are people plugging into stuff?

sfr

Hrm - I've got a couple kicking around, I'll make some measurements when I wake up this afternoon.  ( Just worked the 12 hr. night shift - fun.  :P

I just saw some new (at least, *I* hadn't seen them) Boss volume pedals - looked sturdy as all hell, and seemed to have enough room to put a decent sized circuit inside.  Plus, from what I can tell, they seemed like they worked with a standard dual-gang pot, which is a plus for 'Vibes, some trems, and Parapedal clones.   A little pricey, but seemed much nicer than using a gutted crybaby.
sent from my orbital space station.

puretube

wordstep

Did search before,said ZOOM expression pedal  is 230K line,dont know the man test the pot new or old,
or just measure outside the pedal.
I  tried 500/100/250 K in my expression pedal with the ZOOM G2, 250 k works best.

I assume ZOOM is 250 K

El Caballo

Yamaha FC-7: 50K linear pot, TRS plug, each end wired to tip and sleeve, wiper wired to ring.
    Sleeve-ring = 50K @ toe town, 0K @ heel down
    Tip-ring = 0K @ toe down, 50K @ heel down
    Tip-sleeve = 50K always

Korg EXP2: ~100K linear pot on output 2, TRS jack:
   SR: 10K @ heel down, 92K @ toe down
   TR: 86K @ heel down, 2K @ toe down
   ~50K pot on output 1:
   TS = 0K @ heel down, 50K @ toe down
   TR, RS: open circuit

We tested the Moogerfooger and Roland pedals and got the same results as the other people in this thread.  The only two pedals we tested that are interoperable are the Yamaha and Korg, because if you run the pot as a voltage divider it doesn't matter what the pot value is.  (The Zoom is electrically compatible, but according to the schematic, the direction of travel is opposite the Yamaha and Korg, and the Moogerfooger would require an adapter to put the wiper on ring instead of tip.)  Every pedal is different from the next.  What a nightmare! 

The Alesis F2, M-Audio EXP, and Rocktron Hex have all come out since we did our testing, and I think we missed the Fatar VP26.  Has anyone else got one of these?

Based on our testing so far, we strongly recommend the Yamaha FC-7 because it's made of metal and is about 100X burlier than the Moog, Boss, Korg, or Line 6 pedals, but still costs only $40-$50 USD.  That is what we will be building the circuit to support and recommending to our customers.

The only quibble is that it has long travel compared to most wah pedals, so some guitarists won't like it.  We're a bit disappointed about that, but the other pedals are such flimsy pieces of plastic junk that we can't really recommend them to anyone.  Maybe the Rocktron Hex will be compatible and of decent quality?  We can hope.

sfr

Forgot all about this thread.

I believe the M-Audio one is what came with my HOG.  I'll check it out when I get home this morning.  All the other expression pedals I've got have been reported on, I believe.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Thanks for the replies!!!
I havn't got a Fatar VP26, but looking at a photo of it, it looks EXACTLY 100% like the moogerfooger, same lead from the front, same recessed place for nameplate.. and the moogerfooger is "made in Italy" (like the Fatar) which is a bit of a giveaway... still could be different though, until confirmed.

puretube

Quote from: sfr on November 19, 2006, 11:40:15 PM
Forgot all about this thread.

I believe the M-Audio one is what came with my HOG.  I'll check it out when I get home this morning...

yes, please take a look!
Maybe one of the "usual suspects" could carry this pedal...

The info I found about it is the following:
from newsensor:
QuoteM-Audio Expression Pedal

The perfect compliment to the HOG (control the 7 Expression modes), Holiest Grail (create dramatic swells and fades), Bi-Filter (remote filter sweep control), and Tube EQ (remote bandpass control for wah effects). This is a universal pedal with selectable polarity making it compatible with most keyboards and MIDI controllers. Direct, economical replacement for Moog EP-1 and Roland EV-5. Works with all Moog and Roland products that have an expression pedal input. Heavy-duty durable, molded construction with integral cable and 1'4" stereo plug. 

pic here: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/EXP-main.html

sfr

Sorry it took a little while longer than I planned, I got home from work this morning and promptly went to bed.

Yeah, I have the M-Audio EX-P, same one as Puretube posted.  (Came packaged in the box with my EH-X HOG, which surprised both myself and the guys at the local music shop where I ordered it through; it wasn't clear that I was getting one of these thrown in with that pedal.  So that was nice.)

Anyway - here's the info.  (BTW, I'm numbering the pot's tabs as per here.)

The rocker is a 10k linear pot.  Tab 1 goes to a 50k linear pot (the side knob adjustment) wired as a variable resistance  to ground. (tabs 3 and 2 wired to ground, tab 1 wired back to the rocker pot) Ground is always wired to the sleeve of the TRS connector.
Tab 2, the wiper (of the 10k rocker pot), runs to a 1k resistor and then out to the tip.
Tab 3 of the rocker pot is wired to the ring. 
Those connections are when the back side toggle switch is in "M-Audio" mode - when you flip that switch to "Other", it switches the tip and ring connections - the 1k resistor is still in series with the wiper, the switching happens after that and before the cable connection.

The cable is hard-wired to the pedal.

I'm not good at describing things in words - I can post a picture if my rambling description doesn't make sense.

Roland (Boss) EV-5 is as listed above by Processasaurus, the pot wired as a variable resistance to ground off of one of the outside connections of the rocker pot is 50K in mine.

Worth noting is that any reasonably long shafted 16mm Alpha-style pot would work w/o modification in the Boss pedal.  The M-Audio one needs a "D" shafted pot.  Both of them look like they might accommodate 16mm dual pots of the type with wafers on either side of a single pot back. 

El Caballo

Thanks, sfr.  So the M-Audio is basically the same as the Roland, but with a switch that can swap tip and ring.

4nkam

I have two rackwahs that use modified Boss Volume pedals for control. Each pedal uses the 20k slider and the signal is sent to the rack unit via an XLR cable :) I'm trying to figure out how I might be able to do the same thing but for a Dunlop rack wah.

mJ

ubersam

I use two Ernie Ball 6166 (or are they 6165s? Anyway...) volume pedals as expression pedals plugged into my Ground Control Pro (Midi Controller). The pots have been changed to 250K linear pots.