Is this a good deal?

Started by Andy, September 13, 2003, 10:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

I was given an offer to buy 100 1n914 diodes for $3.75.  Would I have a need for all of these?  Can I use this diode in ALL footpedals?
Andy

Adam Shame

That's not too bad.  I think they are usually about 8 cents a piece in bulk.  I found some on ebay the other day.  About 200 for $2 w/shipping.  I got lucky.. hehehe
Q: What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord?

A: My Ass

Peter Snowberg

The 1N914 is a currently manufactured part so I would buy those from a place like Digikey or Mouser. This way you get datasheets and testing curves. Here is one "flavor"....

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=288888&e_categoryid=93&e_pcodeid=512b

Fairchild 1N914 in DO-35 package
100 for $2.00
250 for $2.50
500 for $4.50

The Vishay (Formerly Vishay-Telefunken) parts are a little more expensive at $2.10 for 100. There are other makers too....

Full 1N914 list at Mouser

You can use the 1N914 any place you are dealing with less than 100ma. Other than that restriction, you can use them any way that doesn't melt them. :)

Now if you find 1N34s on e-bay.... Mouser wants $39.00 for 100 of them! :(

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Nasse

Considering you need signal diodes quite often, and because they don´t take very much room from "junk box" or what ever people use to store their components, I can not see any harm if you can buy these at low price. Go for it.

I bought 500 pcs of 1N4448´s for about 5$ some 20 years ago. There is still plenty left. And so many interesting diode circuits to experiment, and too much fuss at work and no hope for holidays for me.
  • SUPPORTER