THUNDERCHIEF build question

Started by Barcode80, November 09, 2006, 07:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barcode80

I recently whipped up the vero of the thunderchief from torchy's layout:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album28/Thunderchief?full=1

but it doesn't have the wire leads labeled. can anybody shed some light so i can fire this bad boy up?

zyxwyvu

Looking at that layout and the one at http://runoffgroove.com/thunderchief.html, it seems the wires go like this:
left side:
- gnd
- vol3
- gain3
- gnd
- gain2
- in
right side:
- +9V
- gnd

Also, does anyone know if this layout is verified? It looks like there should be a cut track at the bottom, to the right of the 33k resistor, and the 1k and 470k resistors next the second transistor are swapped. Could be more, but that's all I saw when I looked.

KerryF

Barcode,

Have you finished building this yet?

Is the layout correct?

Barcode80

i did finish it, and i got signal, but something is screwy because i've chenged out the last 2 jfets about 20 times now, and i can't get them to bias to correct voltage. it sounds relatively good, but until i can get this solved i can't handle the low output enough to warrant finishing it up quite yet. especially since i know how kickass this is supposed to sound. any ideas how to pull the voltage down on those two jfets? lowest bias i can get with the trimpot is about 6.3 volts, and it needs to come down to the 4.5 range.

zyxwyvu

Have you tried changing the 4.7k resistor as stated in http://runoffgroove.com/faq.html?

KerryF

Quote from: zyxwyvu on November 09, 2006, 09:05:58 PM
It looks like there should be a cut track at the bottom, to the right of the 33k resistor, and the 1k and 470k resistors next the second transistor are swapped. Could be more, but that's all I saw when I looked.

barcode... did you cut that track and switch those 2 values?  just wondering if when I build it, its supposed to be like that.

Barcode80

yes, after checking the schematic you do need to make that cut and swap the resistors. i'm working on revising torchy's layout and posting it in my gallery. i haven't yet tried the suggestion from ROG, i will when i get home today and post results.

Barcode80

dammit, i changed the resistor to a 1k according to the ROG FAQ, and i still only get the following:

Q3 = 6.75 - 7.1

Q4 = 7 - 7.15

i'm about to give up on this layout, dismantle this build and rebuild it using a diff layout. this layout wasn't truly verified anyway, so it may be that a resistor is connected to the wrong part of the circuit and many other possibilities. anyone know which gallery has a verified layout?

KerryF

Dude!  Wait...

Dont quit.  I just traced the schematic and layout and found another error to fix!

the 1M and 470R at the 3rd J201 need to be switched.  hopefully this does it for you.  I just got to that part and then realized I needed to fix that.

Everything else is correct.  Peace!

KerryF

A question about the mods...

Lead/Normal Switch: It says use the .68uF cap on 1 side, and the 10uF cap on the other side of the switch.  The 10uF cap is electrolytic right?  And it doesnt matter which way its placed in right?

Variac Control: It says to put a pot between the trim pots and the +9v.  Whats a good value for that?  1k?

zyxwyvu

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on November 15, 2006, 09:06:07 PM
A question about the mods...

Lead/Normal Switch: It says use the .68uF cap on 1 side, and the 10uF cap on the other side of the switch.  The 10uF cap is electrolytic right?  And it doesnt matter which way its placed in right?

Variac Control: It says to put a pot between the trim pots and the +9v.  Whats a good value for that?  1k?
The 10uF should be electrolytic, and it's negative side should connect to ground.

For the variac, I would try some different resistors/pots to see which ones sound best. It seems like the kind of mod that would be pretty subjective. My best guess is a value around where the trimpots are set. I'm not sure how much that is, but maybe around 25k?

Barcode80

okay, so that last correction to the layout fixed my bias issue for q3! now, i just have to eliminate whatever is wrong with q4, as it still biases around 7 no matter what i set the trim to.

KerryF

So I helped for once?!  :)

Great!  I will post pictures of mine in like 2 minutes.

KerryF

Pictures of my Thunderchief with Double Channel mod...

I still need to get a few capacitors to finish it though...

Barcode80

are those lead bridges and solder bridges on purpose? :) i'm going to try to redo this layout with the changes we've made. then i might try to build another one, leaving this on e intact, and see if i get the same results. anyone have any idea about q4 bias?

Meanderthal

Yeah, those are on purpose... he's putting the jumpers on the bottom for some reason. Should be ok.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

KerryF

Actually they arent jumpers or being connected.  Its leads that havent yet been clipped in case I need to change JFETs or a few other parts I dont have to many of.  ;)

Barcode80

KerryF

No, its just that I dont have any good electronics stores here except a few crappy Radio Shacks.

petemoore

The 10uF cap is electrolytic right?  And it doesnt matter which way its placed in right?
  Unless it is marked NP nonpolar or BP bipolar [same thing], use the polarity marking '-' on the cap...connect that lead to the most negative side of the circuit.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.