THUNDERCHIEF build question

Started by Barcode80, November 09, 2006, 07:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KerryF

Can I use a Ceramic Disk 470pF capacitor in this or do you think that its going to not sound as good?  And is there any good substitues for the 680nFs (.68uF)?

powerplayj

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on December 06, 2006, 07:09:17 PM
Can I use a Ceramic Disk 470pF capacitor in this or do you think that its going to not sound as good?  And is there any good substitues for the 680nFs (.68uF)?

I did the 470pf ceramic without any noticeable consequence...  I have since found a poly film to use but the difference was not noticeable.
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

KerryF

Thanks!  What about the .68uFs?  Anyone have a substitute if possible?

KerryF

WOW I finished this thing and it biased right up extremely easy.  No debugging what-so-ever.  What a thick, fat, heavy tone.  Made me very happy to not have to debug this one.  I cant wait to test this even more, but I am off to clean this up and shorten some offboard wires.  Then to work on the Phase 45 to get to my EVH stompboxed rig  ;D .

powerplayj

Quote from: powerplayj on December 06, 2006, 07:25:29 PM
Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on December 06, 2006, 07:09:17 PM

I did the 470pf ceramic without any noticeable consequence...  I have since found a poly film to use but the difference was not noticeable.

Oh wait :-[  I was thinking about the BSIAB2.  Sorry, haven't tried a ceramic in the Thunderchief.  Doesn't look like it has spoiled your fun anyway.  Enjoy the TC.  I tried a few mods but like the "bright" mod the best. 
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

KerryF

Ok, well I put all the jacks and bypass and power on it, and I am having a bit of problems.  Theres a hum sound when bypassed and a very high screech sound when on the effect.  The effect is still working, but has a horrible screech.  When I disconnect the power, theres no hum though.  I tried to use an Adaptor and a Bsttery and still the same.  Whats wrong??  ???

Barcode80

something is probably screwy in the power filtering. do a search in here for squeal.

KerryF

What do you mean power filtering?

KerryF

Ok, when I touch certain leads from the pots, it stops.  Also, if I lift up the board a little or move it around, the sound cuts out of gets quieter... Wierd.  Whats wrong?  Please, Thanks.

Barcode80

99% positive it is a grounding issue. check to make sure you have everything grounded, make sure you have no solder bridges.

KerryF

Tomarrow I will check again.  But I cant see how theres any problems because I tested it (worked), shortened all the leads (worked), then added bypass, power, and jacks (hums).  So theres nothing different except those things... Hmmm...

Barcode80

you might want to check your dc jack, your battery leads, or your switch then

KerryF

Ok, I took off all the offboard wiring and tested it again (with terminal board) and it works perfectly.  So I will redo the offboard stuff to make sure its right

KerryF

I put the jacks by themselves on and it worked.

I then put the power supply and switch on and tested it.  It didnt work with one of my adaptors (was still squeeling).  I tested it for voltage and that 9v adaptor was giving off about 13v!  But then I tested it with a 3-12v adaptor on the 9v setting and it worked fine.  I guess the 13v was making the transistors not biased, since they are biased to only 9v.  So its all good right now.  I am about to finish putting on the bypass.  Hopefully I will post some sound clips today.  ;)

This thing sound the best through my Valve Junior.  It sounds ok though my Hartke amp, but the best with the real tubes backing it :icon_twisted: .  The lead/rhythm channel mod doesnt really sound like channel changing.  It actually sounds very much like treble pickup on one side, and bass pickup on the other side of the switch.  You know, like a dark/bright switch which is really nice sounding  :)

KerryF

Uhhh! This is so frusturating... Now I put the switch on it and I am getting horrible squeeling.  I dont know whats wrong...  I even tried to cover the whole circuit and offboard with a piece of aluminum foil to shield it, but it was the same.  Anyone know what this could possibly be?

Barcode80

check the switch for continuity with a DMM. check switch wiring. you may have gotten a dud switch. generally if you have a working pedal, and then you add a part, then it messes up, logic says...

KerryF

Yes I did check the switch.  And the continuity is correct on both sides...  Its really wierd why that would be causing it though.