Thought I'd share this. The smallest 0.1uF's I have ever seen.

Started by skiraly017, November 10, 2006, 09:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Seljer

slacker

I've got some mustard coloured one as well, they're handy to have around. I've also got some axial 0.47uFs about the size of a 1/4 watt resistor. Don't know who makes them, I got mine in a "lucky bag" off ebay.

sfr

Yeah, I've got a few of those as well - both blue and mustard, in different values.  I can't remember where the heck I got them, and I wish I knew who made them.  They're handy, particularly when you're raising cap values on a board you already etched and designed around a smaller value cap.
sent from my orbital space station.

bancika

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

leonhendrix

aron

I had some of those as well. I'm not sure if I liked how they sounded. Do you like them in your pedals?

Mark Hammer

That's why I have a magnifying glass on the workbench at all times in addition to the x4.0 reading glasses from the dollar store.  It's one thing to have a roll of those little buggers and know that they are ALL 0.1uf, and quite another to pull out a parts drawer of caps from .05-.5uf and have to poke around to find one of a given value that will fit the available space on the board.  When the part value is written in 1pt font (or smaller), it can get a little tricky.

analogmike

Quote from: slacker on November 10, 2006, 10:23:04 AM
I've also got some axial 0.47uFs about the size of a 1/4 watt resistor. Don't know who makes them, I got mine in a "lucky bag" off ebay.

those are odd, they are in Marshall Shredmaster pedals. Look just like resitors but some are large value caps. Don't seem to sound bad at all. Wonder who makes them.
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

Meanderthal

Yep, I have a few hundred of the same thing. Ceramic or not, I do like the way they sound... but that might just be because they look like film(but much smaller), making me think they're good... the mojo factor... but small is cool!
I am not responsible for your imagination.

doug deeper

i use the axial version of these from time to time,
they look like shiny resistors.

ildar

I have a bunch of those as well, and have used them extensively, and used to like them, but I wasn't sure if they were film or ceramic. Now that I know they're ceramic, I don't like the way they sound any more...

:icon_razz:

Ardric

Those look like power supply bypass caps for digital circuits.  Every IC would get one of these beside it, across +5 and gnd, to reduce power supply noise.  You'll probably find a ton of them on early PC motherboards or anything with a lot of DIP TTL logic.  On a stompbox, they'd be perfect for putting in parallel with any large electrolytic power supply caps to extend the frequency response of the filtering way up into RF.  I've sometimes trimmed the leads short and soldered them to the bottom of a PCB, laying flat, directly onto the pins of a 1000uF or etc.

They're probably Z5U ceramic composition.  Not all ceramic caps are created equal, but yup... I think these are evil ones.  In most uses I doubt any distortion from the cap would ever be noticed, ymmv... but keep in mind that they really drift around with temperature too.  Using them in an LFO would seem to be a bad idea.

Rafa

Ive got the mustard version too, maybe not bigger than 3milimeters.
Cheers
Rafa

Meanderthal

Yup, mine are marked 104  Z5U... oh well, thanks for the warning, I guess I won't use em in anything elaborate or squirrely. I have nice poly caps for that.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

brett

Hi
These are monolythic ceramics.
They are excellent bypass caps and have advantages of size and cost.
However, they are known for having wide tolerance, plenty of drift with temperature, and for microphonic qualities.
So it is good policy to avoid using them in the signal chain, where film caps are best (greencaps and MKT).
I use them next to op-amps for AC bypassing the power supply and increasing stability.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Dai H.

usually the larger value monolythic ceramics are the non-temp. compensating type, but there do exist some larger value ones that are. I have some murata .047uF50V that apparently are. They have a black mark across the top which would ordinarily mean NP0, though I'm not 100% sure if that is their temp.rating (but they were sold as temp. compensating types). Anyway, if you want to see some tiny parts, just look inside your computer!

toneman

hey, does anybody need pointone mfd caps  ???
I have a jillion of them.
i have some little blue ones & little yellow ones.
All monolythic ceramic.   Several bags of them.
one cent each; minimum 1000; plus a few bucks 4 shipping.
Oh, has to be USA only.
LMK via PM.
;)
T
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!