How to convert linear pot into audio pot for Volume or Drive?

Started by rogeryu_ph, November 10, 2006, 08:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogeryu_ph

Diy'er,
Hi, nowadays we could not find any single store selling "A" audio pot I don't know why manufacturer drop or lessen their production on this specially here in the Philippines. We have stompbox project mostly requires "A" pot for volume and drive and "B" linear for tone control. The fact that when we don't have alternative we subtitute "B" pot for our volume and drive.  This I experimented using a salvage "A" pot from a radio resulted to more smooth when adjusting volume or drive unlike "B" linear pot have difficulties in controlling sound specially when you like to adjust by gradually rotate the knob a little bit you will noitce a big instant volume coming up. I heard from others that you will need to put some resistor to it, but I don't know what is the configuration. Anyone can give me help convert this linear into audio pot will be much appreciated. For example the pot to be conveted is labelled "B 100k" Thanks in advance guys.

Roger     

rogeryu_ph

BlueToad, Thank you so much your a genius! How come I missed this site.... One thing I need to clarify, this means R1 is parallel to or between left lug and the the wiper center... and R2 is between wiper and right lug isn't it? How should I solder this? Can it be on pot terminal itself or I'm I wrong or did not get the idea. I'm not much of an expert hehe.

petemoore

Right on the potlugs..or..
  If you're going from linear to log by adding tapering resistors to a linear pot...you can end up with '1' or '2'.     '1' being audio taper or...'2' being reverse audio taper, to reverse the taper...reverse the resistor connections to each outside lug from wiper.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

rogeryu_ph

Petemoore,  you're saying both one leg of each (R1 & R2) resistors are to be solder in the wiper(center),  and the other one leg of R1 to the left and the other one leg of the R2 is to the right, Right? Pardon me for my ignorance i'm just an average in electronic. Thank you so much in advance.