thunderchief build, little issues

Started by Barcode80, November 11, 2006, 12:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barcode80

so i built a thunderchief from "torchy's" layout, which is in quotes as he tells me it was posted without his input :) the layout was incomplete, but with zyxwyvu's help with a couple of errors in the unfinished layout. once the changes were made, it fired right up! sounds pretty good, but not quite what i think it is supposed to.

i think the problem lies in the biasing. ROG lists each drain voltage at about 4 to 4.5 volts, which i was able to dial in easily on the first two trannies. however, q3 and q4 are both stuck at an appalling 6-6.5 volts! i can't seem to figure out why, and tedious and a lot of scrutiny and inspection has led me to believe that the layout is correct and everything is wired up properly.

anyone who has built this pedal, it would be great if you could offer some insight. otherwise i don't want to dismantle it because i can hear it in even the thin sound that once it is tweaked to specs, it will sound kikass. maybe i'll just have to build it on perf, a la ROG's layout.

Ardric

Try different JFETS?  I found the Q3 spot to be picky.  Not Q4 though.  If you don't have more JFETS, try swapping them around and rebiasing.

awilson40

I had no problems biasing mine, as above, swap around till you find one that will bias at 4.5v.
BTW, I found the sweet spot on mine with the first 2 fets biased at 3.2 v, Fet 3 at 4.8 and fet 4 at 4.5v.

MartyMart

GO to www.runoffgroove.com to the FAQ , there's a little piece on biasing the TC :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com