SOT: Naive question about a simple amp idea

Started by brett, November 13, 2006, 10:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brett

Hi
Looking at simple schematics for amps, I found this for a Class B amp:

I don't look at many amp schematics, but hadn't seen anything like this before.  To use an op-amp to switch the offset between +0.7V and -0.7V seems a cool idea.  But is there any problem with it?

My idea for a simple guitar amp is to use:
one (half) TL072 op-amp or similar as a pre-amp (voltage gain up to about 200)
a 24V, 1A wall-wart for a +/- 12V pwer supply,
the other (half TL072) op-amp as the offset switch,
a pair of 2N3055/2N2955 transistors on an appropriate heatsink.

I anticipate feeding the power section up to 8V RMS and drawing up to 1 amp, for 8W output.  That seems quite good for such a simple amp and power supply.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Joe

It will work if the opamp can supply enough drive current for the output transistors. 3055/2955's are probably overkill (try TIP31/32). Crossover distortion in this thing is dependent on the slew-rate of the opamp. It should be more noticeable at lower volumes, where the distortion takes up a greater percentage of the output signal.

brett

Hi
I'm kinda surprised but  :icon_smile: that this will work.
With a slew rate of 16 V/uS, the response of the TL072 should be quick enough to switch the two transistors (ie in less than 1 uS).  But it might overshoot a bit, I suppose.

Thanks for the hint about the 2N devices being overkill (and low hFE).  With a hFE of 100 at 1 amp, a TIP31 only needs about 10mA.  I'm figuring that a TL072 can produce that OK (10mA from about 10V is equivalent to about a 1k ohm load).

Any advice about how sensitive this will be to power supply ripple?  I was thinking of 2 x 2200uF caps on each rail, based on the rule-of-thumb that says you need a minimum of 2200uF per 1 A.
Thanks.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

gez

A (suitable) resistor from the output of the opamp to each base of the tranistors should make it more stable/bias better.   I've seen what I just described on a schematic for a headphone amp that's on the net somewhere.  If I have some time later today I'll try and find it/link to it.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

DDD

Adding single 100-500 kOhm resistor from bases to emitter will make the amp much more stable with "more headroom" from the point of view of symmetrical distortion.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

gez

Couldn't find the schematic, but this page has some useful stuff under 'Class B and AB Symmetric Emitter Followers' (half way down page): 

http://www.headwize.com/projects/opamp_prj.htm
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter