aparantly, I can't do math at midnight anymore!~

Started by Andy, September 14, 2003, 12:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

someone help me double-check my math:  I did this conversion on my calculator and then used a program called electronics assistant to check but my figures don't match and I want to make sure I don't get the wrong values.

is ten thousand (10000) pico farads the same as .01 Micro farads? or is it .1?  I think it should be .1 but I may be wrong.
Andy

Dai H.

Yes 10,000pF = 0.01uF = 10nF

You used a calculator for that? LOL

(Heh heh, just pokin' fun, I'm not serious.  :lol: )

Dai

Andy

don't laugh at me *sniff* :cry:   just kidding!!  I multiplied 10thou by 10 to the neg6 power and got .1 must be a late night thing with me!!  haha  thanks a bunch!!
Andy

ErikMiller

Get thee to http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/download.htm and download Electronics Assistant.

One of the many useful calculators it includes is for converting capacitor values.

I'm helpless as a kitten trying to remember how many nanofarads to the picofarad, etc.

Craig V

I have a quick question.  I already got the calculator thing, but I want to make sure.

I ordered 150pf caps from SB, and got 150.  Isn't that only 15 pf?  I got replacements, and they were the same value.  Have I gone crazy?

Thanks.

Peter Snowberg

QuoteI ordered 150pf caps from SB, and got 150. Isn't that only 15 pf? I got replacements, and they were the same value. Have I gone crazy?

I would need sane perspective to comment on your crazyness so I'll leave that to somebody else. ;)

Just remember that there are two marking schemes. The first is the three number code with the last digit being the number of zeros, and the second is just the value to three digits in pF or nF. It depends on who made 'em. Being so large, electrolytics always use the later scheme with more digits added if needed.

I would worry if they said just '15', but you're probably in great shape. :D

If you don't have a capacitence meter, you could always take a couple caps to Radio-Shack and "audition" a multi-meter or two. ;)  

I can't believe I worked without such a meter for so long. I would highly suggest picking one up. For some awesome prices, look at this thread:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=539

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Ge_Whiz

Andy, FWIW I think I know where your calculation went wrong - it's a common mistake and easy to make.

Ten to the power of minus six must be entered as 1EE-6, but as you mutter it through, it's VERY easy to enter 10EE-6, hence your answer comes out 10x too large.

My students do it all the time - until I point it out for the ten to the power oneth time!

Craig V

Thanks... I'm gonna drop them in my Octavia and Neovibe boards later today.

Thanks again.

Andy

Quote from: Ge_WhizAndy, FWIW I think I know where your calculation went wrong - it's a common mistake and easy to make.

Ten to the power of minus six must be entered as 1EE-6, but as you mutter it through, it's VERY easy to enter 10EE-6, hence your answer comes out 10x too large.

My students do it all the time - until I point it out for the ten to the power oneth time!

That is EXACTLY what I did!!  Thanks a bunch.  I need to start going to bed at night instead of being a geek and doing math!!  no.......I like being a geek better.   :P
Andy