simple one knob boxes

Started by nag hammadi, November 15, 2006, 12:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nag hammadi

with krimmus coming soon, i have been making a bunch of simple one knob units to give away as presents.  it is also my first builds that have been on vero board.

different, to say the least.  a little closer in a way to the point to point amp stuff i am more comfortable with...

anyway, i have built a ton of boosters for folks.  anyone have any suggestions for some cooler stuff that i can whip up on the simple? 

i am putting them in the small mxr style bud boxes becasue i have a bunch.  the idea is to keep it very simple so i can afford to make them for more people...

noise makers?  modulation?  oddball fuzz with common parts?

something to help me find my keys?

in the face of you all i stand defiant - subhumans

d95err

Go for a stroll through the Layouts gallery (http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/). Always lots of inspiration there. I think Dragonfly alone has something like 15 different one-knob fuzzes in his "Fuzz Lounge"...

Mark Hammer

"Need-for-compression" is a condition that goes around undiagnosed probably more often than attention-deficit-disorder (and that's saying something!).  Cure that ailment for your friends and family with a one-knob Orange Squeezer.  Good for what ails you. 

The Tone God

Check out the submissions for September's "One knob" FX-X.

Andrew

Pushtone

I second the Orange Squezzer.

Here's another Idea.

Pick an easy/simple two knob effect and make one of the knobs an internal trimmer or fixed resistor. Turns it into a one-knober.

This could be done to the...
Scrambler
DOD440
Dist+ / DOD250
Kay tremolo

Or even make it without knobs for a preset effect.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Meanderthal

Why not give stm's BB&E a try? Looks pretty simple, and if it works as advertised it'll be one you'll wind up keeping, not giving away!
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Ge_Whiz

Tim's Harmonic Jerkulator - leave out the input gain control and control it from the guitar.

http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html

Harry

markm

sfr

sent from my orbital space station.

nightingale

Orange Sunshine, 
The original "no knob" version.. Killer fuzz @ high volumes!
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

nag hammadi

thanks for the ideas guys!

i am going off to build some of them right now.

orange squeezins a plenty.

:-*
in the face of you all i stand defiant - subhumans

syndromet

My favourite fuzz (might even be my favourite pedal) is the Bazz Fuss. A raw, cruel fuzz. My recomandation would be a standard Bazz fuss with the thickness-knob from the deluxe version. Just use an internal trimpot for volume. I built one of theese for a friend, and he loves it. I actualy almost ended up keeping it myself.
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

MikeH

I'd vote for the AMZ mini boost.  It's useful in many situations and gives you that nice grit for rise above solos or slightly dirty rhythm.  I built mine on vero; took about 20 minutes.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Harry

Quote from: markm on November 15, 2006, 07:36:56 PM
Quote from: Harry on November 15, 2006, 07:24:08 PM
Phase 90/Small Stone?

simple  ??? ;D
Oops! I thought he meant simple as in one knob simple. He mentioned modulation...

Anyway, Treble or Bass Boosters and dead simple.