Started by solarplexus, November 15, 2006, 02:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solarplexus

Hi there,

I got this Fuzz Face Clone not working. 

1.Name of the project: Fuzz Face PNP negative ground with LED
2.http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/fuzzface_lo_pn_3pdt.gif
3.Bought the PCB from GGG
4.Used Small Bear resistor's specs and trannies.  R2 = 33k, R3 = 680 ohm, R4 = 8,2K, R5 = 100K
6.What it does:

The LED powers up with both DC and Batt.  The bypass works in bypass mode.  There is a Fuzz/cracking sound when the string are struck hard but nothing when struck normally. 

Q1:

C: 9v
B: 9v
E: 9v

Q2:

C: 3v

This is the LAST time I try to build a pedal... I can't even build a Fuzz Face... wow... never again.

Please help
DIY Poser.

burnt fingers

Something is definately wrong.  Re check all your connections. You should not get 9v at that many pins of q1 and q2.  You may have some small solder bridges shorting out traces. 

Also, Verify the pinout for your trannys.  They may be in backwards.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

solarplexus

Ok I checked the trannies, they were backwards...

But now, check what the readings give me:

Q1:

C: 9v
B: 8v

Q2:

E: 8v
C: 8v

?????
DIY Poser.

MikeH

You very well may have some sort of solder bridge or short circuit.  Q2 cant be right; I don't think the collector could be a lower voltage than the base.  Seems wrong.  Is it wired for positive or negative ground?  Sometimes the "R" numbers (R2,R3, etc.) that Small Bear sends don't correspond with the R numbers from GGG or tonepad.  Compare the values and you'll figure out where each should go.  Use the values from small bear that are closest to the values on the Schem.  If the schem says R2=450R and R3=36K, and small bear says R2=33K and R3 = 680R, obviously they aren't meant to be the same.

Don't let the Fuzz Face discourage you; it's simplicity is deceiving.  I had a lot of trouble with my FF build, and I had built a bunch of way more complicated pedals before.  They're very picky
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

solarplexus

thanks for the help, but you know what... just forget it.

I'm tired of this and I'm putting this DIY to an end.
DIY Poser.

captntasty

Curious if you have a jack in the input to power it up when you take your readings?  Measuring an non-powered pedal like this at the tranny's will give you those readings, which are basically a reading directly off the battery , thus ~9v.  I've made this mistake soo many times.  Don't give up!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

petemoore

Q1 Emitter = ground
  Wrong answer...the other answer is I'm running out of time and can't read PNP POs Gnd FF or PCB very well.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Meanderthal

Hey, I'm an idiot, and I built the same animal the same way as you. THAT one worked out fine, but I did have a period where 5 builds in a row didn't work at all! Don't give up, not everything will work out, but when it does it's absolutely glorious!
I am not responsible for your imagination.

solarplexus

I'm testing it with a jack in the input and a new battery.

I tried to build a MXR D+... failed, Red Fuzz...failed, Jawari...succeeded, blue magic... failed, BSIAB II... succeeded, Professor Tweed... failed, and now this...so I think there is something I do wrong but I will never be able to figure out what I do cause I got no one to teach me or correct me, so better stop wasting my time building and spend more time playing don't you think?
DIY Poser.

Meanderthal

Ehhh... sometimes I get burned out on the whole thing, but the urge to build draws me back eventually. The meaning of life is this: CREATE! That's the only thing that brings lasting satisfaction. You can do this thru music alone, but the more avenues of creativity you persue, the happier you will be... And the funny thing is it seems your successes are the more complex ones... well, the BSIABII anyway. I've seen a zillion posts of folks having trouble with that one, so obviously you do have potential.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

solarplexus

Yeah but I just need to figure out what I do wrong... I think there is some kind of building pattern prone to failure in my builds... but where to find it is the tricky part
DIY Poser.

Barcode80

i'm betting that as a new builder it likely lies in your soldering technique. it sounds like you have either some solder bridges (check with a magnifier, they can be VERY tiny) or you have a cold solder joint. remelt every solder joint and try again. there is a good chance you will see diff results...

petemoore

Yupp I'd check for NON continuity between all the transistor pins.
  Also you might do well to convert that PNP Neg Gnd item into regular FF type circuit: PNP Pos Gnd, or NPN NEg Gnd.
  actually you might want to try a cream pie, 7 parts
  Measure every resistor prior to installing it
  Compare each *node connection count on the schematic to what's on the board, this helps in planning the build layout/getting connected all/and only those parts shown as connections.
  Get the Data sheet for the transistor used, or have some way of being certain of it's orientation.
  Same for cap polarity, observe the markings on the cap and the schematic.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

markm

Quote from: Barcode80 on November 15, 2006, 07:25:20 PM
i'm betting that as a new builder it likely lies in your soldering technique. it sounds like you have either some solder bridges (check with a magnifier, they can be VERY tiny) or you have a cold solder joint. remelt every solder joint and try again. there is a good chance you will see diff results...

Ya know, everyone here has been burned by a cold solder joint every now and then and it can be all the difference indeed.

guitar_199

Actually, forgetting the FF for a second, I honestly hope that you'll reconsider your path and come back and try again. If you are indeed relatively new to this and have no background you should really feel pretty good that you got this together at all.  Most wouldnt know where to start.  Some of the best learning I have EVER done in my LIFE was on the back end of enormous screw-ups.  When I dig in...and FINALLY find the problem, I think about how I made the mistake in the  first place, file it away in my head, and build a little library of "anti screw-up filters"!  As time goes, the mistakes of a novice will disappear and in it's place can be a whole slieu of working pedals.  Take heart, you can get this.

Is there any way that you have, or can beg/borrow/steal a digital camera and get a few snaps as close and as clear as possible then upload them so that we can get a look at the patient?