Total Newbie trying to build a BSIAB2

Started by tripp2k, November 15, 2006, 10:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tripp2k

You guys are probably gonna laugh, so I'm prepared for that.  I built a BYOC ScriptPhaser and the instructions were just plain stupid proof. I'm now trying a GGG BSIAB2 and I can't even begin to figure out which resistor is which and what other items are polarity sensitive.  Is there someone out there who might be able to share the "translation" for me so I know what resistor is which and any other useful information for putting this thing together.  I don't mean to be a drain on you experts, but I figure with practice and some help, I'll pick this thing up after awhile and eventually be able to reciprocate back to this global village.

Thanks in advance!  :icon_redface:

greenacarina

Quote from: tripp2k on November 15, 2006, 10:30:01 PM
You guys are probably gonna laugh, so I'm prepared for that.  I built a BYOC ScriptPhaser and the instructions were just plain stupid proof. I'm now trying a GGG BSIAB2 and I can't even begin to figure out which resistor is which and what other items are polarity sensitive.  Is there someone out there who might be able to share the "translation" for me so I know what resistor is which and any other useful information for putting this thing together.  I don't mean to be a drain on you experts, but I figure with practice and some help, I'll pick this thing up after awhile and eventually be able to reciprocate back to this global village.

Thanks in advance!  :icon_redface:

I'm certainly no expert, but I do know some of the basics. Resistors are not polarity sensitive, and the easiest way to check their value is with a meter. It is good to know the color chart as well, but a meter is fast and easy. http://www.elexp.com/tips/clr_code.gif
Diodes, IC's, Transistors, and some Capacitors are polarity-specific. (and batteries too...duh! :)
My best advice from one newbie to another is to enjoy the build and the troubleshooting process. It's a great learning experience, just try not to get too frustrated (I know what that's like!)
Good luck and have fun!!
Chris

tripp2k

Chris, THANK YOU for the chart...BIG HELP and I'm on my way. Now I need a 400 watt light so I can see. Anyone have guidance on cap polarity would take me a few more steps forward.

greenacarina

Speaking of seeing things better, I have one of these- http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38896
and it's awesome! Also found this useful for capacitor values (especially for ordering)-  http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/calc/convcap.htm

John Lyons

Those magnifiers are a good thing. Plus they make you look like you know what you are doing when you are working!
I use a jewlers loupe to inspect solder joints and to look at cap codes and resistors. Regular old reading glasses help out as well. You can get them at the dollar stores for around $5.
Use your Digital meter to measure resistors.
Check out the WIKI above to find some resources to get you started with what goes where and other electronics facts, there is a lot there to check out!
John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

MartyMart

Check the DIY FAQ at the top left - all your component/ polarity questions have answers in there :D

read .... read .... read  !

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

tripp2k

Folks, seeking some help on the polarity of the 1uF caps.  Is there a way to look at the cap on the side that has the numbers/letters and determine which side is + or - ? If not, any other guidance? Making progress on this build!

Jay Doyle

Quote from: tripp2k on November 16, 2006, 11:29:38 AM
Folks, seeking some help on the polarity of the 1uF caps.  Is there a way to look at the cap on the side that has the numbers/letters and determine which side is + or - ? If not, any other guidance? Making progress on this build!

You really need to read the FAQ, this will answer this question and a lot more...

Ed G.

I agree, the faq is an invaluable resource. Just about every question can be answered there. Not that we mind helping, but basic questions like this have already been addressed. I invite you to check out the FAQ and even bookmark it. I still have to look at it on occasion!

Xavier

Just my 2 cent.

As a "more advanced noob" after some builds, all I can tell you is this: The BSIAB was also my first build, or that is what I wanted. I think it is maybe a little tricky for a total noob. I would start by something like a mini-booster, which essentially is half of a BSIAB. Debugging a pedal like the BSIAB for the first time (unless you make it work right away) can be REALLY frustrating.

However, good luck !!!

petemoore

I'm now trying a GGG BSIAB2 and I can't even begin to figure out which resistor is which and what other items are polarity sensitive.
  Welcome to the Forum !
  Data Sheets on part #'s or equivalent...[definitely get the Jfets your'e using's data sheets for the pinouts], but even on the other parts, data sheets may have some things you can pick up on.
  Otherwise look at Tweek-O pictorial/texts
  FAQ...find the parts description pages of your various parts, look for resistor color code chart and info.
  GEO "Mu Amp" pages, [the BSIAB first two amp stages are Mu's
  Use the DMM to measure every resistor just prior to installing it, picking them first by color code if you want to learn the code quicker.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Roobin

What I found most useful when I started out was the Building Information page on GGG - under Tech Info. Read through it all - it tells you about polarity and which parts are solder-iron sensitive.

tripp2k

Thanks everyone.  I spent about an hour digging around the FAQ trying to find how I could determine the polarity of the cap in question.  Only reference that I found had test equipment included in the same sentence. The extent of the test equipment I care to own is one finger for touching the thing I want and the other, slightly moist, stuck up in the air to measure wind direction. Fortunately, JD @ GGG was kind enough to get in touch with me and informed me the polarity of the 1uF caps is irrelevant. I hope this information is helpful to the next goober that follows me. I'm about to fire this bad boy up and yoos better watch out  :icon_eek: