testing esnips programme for mp3 soundclips etc.

Started by alfafalfa, November 17, 2006, 01:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfafalfa

I have been trying to find a way to let people listen to some samples of soundclips that give a clearer insight in the issues discussed here. For example the noise I experienced with my Rebote 2.5.
So I am just testing.

http://www.esnips.com/web/Soundsamples-mp3

Alf

alfafalfa

Sorry for the terrible sound . I just discovered that when you change a perfect sounding wav file into an mp3  I get this horrible (digital ? ) wobbly distortion.

Anybody know how to convert it without this. I used Cool Edit. I have never had this problem but it's also the first time I have done this. I always go the other way round , from mp3 to wav without any trouble.

Will try again.

Alf

alfafalfa

And one more thing : the TC chorus soundclip is not mine.
I just chose it because i have a TC.

This one was already an mp3 so there's no problem.

John Lyons

When you convert it to MP3 make sure to use a higher sample rate. Try 128

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

alfafalfa

Just changed the sample to a higher rate of 128 .
I thinks it sounds better now.
This was my first attempt to record acoustic guitar with a Panasonic Capsule and a schematic I found on the net. I am not very satisfied with it.
I have a small sample where there is this nasty resonant peak.
It could be possible that this setup recorded some higher harmonics of my Collings guitar.

John Lyons

For accoustic Gtr recording try this:

Place the mic about 5 inches from the 12 fret. Then you can angle the mic either towards the soundhole or up the neck a little.
Did you use an Omni directional capsule or a Cardioid/unidirectional one?  If you built the Uni one you will have to fight off some of the bass and resosnance because the guitars body is so big and flat. It's a trial and error thing. The main thing is too avoid the sound hole area with a Unidirectional mic...

Recording acoustic is not an easy task without a good mic. I have built a few Panasonic capsule mics (omni) and they are pretty nice for the $20 (or less) they cost to make.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

alfafalfa

John,

I used the Panasonic P9959-ND Omni-directional capsule because it was recommended in an article.
What schematic did you use and  could I have it please ??
Normally I like to record my acoustic guitars directly from my acoustic preamp into a mixingdesk.
This gives the best results . The preamp has a high headroom because of the symetrical power supply of of + and -  15 volts.
I have recorded with a Beyer N 201 mike and a Senheiser 441 both rather good mikes but if your room acoustics aren't perfect it's (in my case) never as good as a direct recording.
The mixingdesk has the same sort of powersupply and Neutrik transformers at the input.

Regards, Alf