fuzz face high end

Started by hodad, September 14, 2003, 12:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hodad

I just breadboarded a fuzz face using AC128's & the distortion is solid (not brutal like the RM classic fuzz face) until I get to the B & high E strings.  Then it gets rather timid--just slightly overdriven sounding.  I've played with different values for the various resistors, and it's helped a bit, but I'm still not getting any serious fuzz on the high strings.  I've also tried a couple of different AC128's but still haven't found the magic.  Any thoughts on what to try next?

Thanks
Tom

gez

The upper strings produce a weaker signal so they don't drive the circuit as hard.

You could try a graphic equaliser in front of the FF to boost the high end, but feeding the circuit from something with low output impedance 'might' create problems.

Another possibility would be to ditch the 1k pot, replace it with a resistor and make the 20u cap smaller.  This will feedback some of the lows, with the circuit at full pelt, giving a more even response across the strings.  When THAT is to your liking, drive the circuit from a FET common source amp set for variable gain; this compensates for the 'cleaning up' that the above mod would do.

I havent' done this, so don't shoot me if it doesn't work - just a thought!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter