.47uf cap to0 big (size wise), please suggest alternative.

Started by Hiwatt25, November 18, 2006, 04:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiwatt25

I'm putting together an EA trem from the PCB at runoffgroove and everything was going fine till it came time to add the two .47uf caps.  The caps that I have are huge film caps and they leave very little room for other components. 

Is there another type of cap that will provide me the capacitance I need but in a smaller package?  My ceramic caps do not go that high in value and I'm not sure if I could (or would be able to fit) electrolytic caps in there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks as always.

Hiwatt25

That's what I'm using in there now but it's a monster and there are two of them back to back.  I'm stumped.

Funky_Tomo

put the other pieces on, then solder on those babies but have them higher than the rest. then fold it over them or something.

Thomas P.

god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

Seljer

For the .47uF that is there as the decoupling capactor by the output, you should be able to use something smaller without too much trouble (anything larger than 47nF or so, bigger is better, anything smaller might start cutting out your low end)

no idea about the other one, again, I think you could get away with something bigger without problems, you should be able to a use an electrolytic cap in there (with the - towards the 120k resistor)

Pushtone

I had the same problem with the EAT. It was my first build and I ordered the "greenie" caps because I heard they sounded good.

Now I know better and have been using the box style caps as much as possible.

Here is a thread I started with pictures and model numbers for these caps, but there are others like the AVX and Wima brands

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=43356.0

Heres a pic a my EAT build with those gigantic Xicon greenie caps! Tight fit for sure.

I also have been liking the "sub-miniature" greenies from Xicon, but they don't come in all values.
Here is the mouser catalog page for the sub-miniature Xicon caps. They are in the bottom right corner. Limited values.
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/628/682.pdf

So now I use a mix of the box style, the greenies, and the sub-miniature greenies. Whichever one is the smallest.

Looking at that Mouser Catalog... 
the sub-miniature Xicon .47uF cap is 13mm wide and 15mm tall.
The AVX box is 17mm wide and 10.6mm tall
The Wima box is 4.9mm wide by 9.5mm tall.

Looks like the Wima is the smallest, just like Tomboy said. They are also the most expensive.
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/628/680.PDF

It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

puretube

boogietube

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=167

The quote from smallbear on this cap is: Use this model at higher values where the ECQ-B gets physically large
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

Hiwatt25

Quote from: Pushtone on November 19, 2006, 03:49:27 PM
I had the same problem with the EAT. It was my first build and I ordered the "greenie" caps because I heard they sounded good.

Pushtone, thank you.  That's exactly what I was talking about.  I thought for sure I was doing something wrong but I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one to have that problem.  I'll look into some of those smaller types.  Does Mouser sell the box type?  Is WIMA a type of cap or a brand?

Someone told me that I could use aluminum electrolytics instead.  Is that true and if so how do I know which way to orient them.

Thanks to all!

Pushtone

Quote from: Hiwatt25 on November 19, 2006, 07:30:32 PM
Is WIMA a type of cap or a brand?

Wima is a brand.
Check the last link I posted above. You can get manufacturer part number if you don't want to order from mouser.

SMD?   :icon_rolleyes: :icon_surprised: :icon_twisted: :icon_rolleyes: :icon_idea: :icon_question: :icon_wink:

http://www.geocities.com/vk3em/smtguide/websmt.html

Heres a quote from that link....

SMT Myths

Many new facets of amateur radio and experimentation with electronics
in general are hampered by the myths that surround them. SMT is no
exception and this is no doubt one of reasons why amateurs have been
slow to adapt to SMT.

Some of these myths are :

- SMT needs special and expensive equipment
            - SMT components are hard to find
            - SMT requires professional PCBs
            - SMT requires special training and skills

To use SMT and not get too stressed about it does require the following :

- To have a steady hand
            - To practice your technique
            - To be invest in a good pair of tweezers
            - To have reasonable eyesight or use magnification

Pushtone

Pushtone, thank you.  That's exactly what I was talking about. 

Sometimes it takes a newb to know a newb.  :icon_redface:

Pushtone

Someone told me that I could use aluminum electrolytics instead.  Is that true and if so how do I know which way to orient them.

Thanks to all!

Aviod electrolytics in the audio path. They DO sound bad.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=51583.0

Hiwatt25

Pushtone, thanks again.  Those caps are the balls!  I don't know why but a big clunky board just fills me with dread.  Everything must be small, neat and tidy...and at right angles...and flush...and oriented the same way...and...the same color...and.........

Thanks again!