Square DC jacks

Started by rockgardenlove, November 19, 2006, 01:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockgardenlove

Where can I get them?  I want some to fit Small Bears drilled boxes.

sfr

I believe Radio Shack has some, if you're located in the states.
sent from my orbital space station.

rockgardenlove

I'm in the US, but Radioshack is always expensive and they try and sell me a new cell phone.
Anybody got a Mouser pt. #?

sfr

Went to Mouser, and clicked on "Interconnects" on the left hand side of the page.  Then clicked "DC Power Connectors" on the list that shows up.   Okay - narrowed it down to 373 matches.  Ugh.  Too many to look at!   So off we go - in the pulldown menus I chose an "Inside Contact Diameter" of 2.1mm, and an "Outside Contact Diameter" of 5.5mm.  (After searching around on the internet for a while trying to find the right measurements - I knew the 2.1, but the 5.5 I didn't - I suppose it would have been quicker to grab the calipers and measure) After clicking that, hit "apply filters", and it should narrow those three-hundred-some-odd parts down to something more managable...

And we get it down to 36 matches.  Which is still a lot.  Chances are you could probably add some more preferences to narrow it down more, but I don't know what sort of mounting I want, and I often confuse which one is the "jack" and which one is the "plug". 

But if you scroll briefly through the list of those thirty-six results, you'll see everything on the second page, and towards the end of the first is either listed as "Obsolete" or "Non-stocked"; (don't order these!) So that narrows it down more, but also, you'll notice that pretty much all of the results are listed as being on three catalog pages - 914, 915, 916.  If you happen to have the most current hardcopy catalog around, you could check that, or just click on those page numbers where they're listed next to those items, and download the PDF.  skim those three pages and you'll probably find what you need.  ( I honestly dont' know the size of the square hole you have in that box, and whether or not you want board or panel mount, so I can't do anything more!)   If you don't see all the measurements you need (you should) on those pages, write the part numbers that look promising, and check the data sheets. 

I hope this didn't sound condenscending, but this isn't the first time someones asked for a Mouser part number, and I know the first times I ordered from Mouser it was a little overwhelming.  So I thought I'd just point out the easiest way to find something you need there.
sent from my orbital space station.

rockgardenlove

Thanks...I really shouldn't be so lazy as to look it up on my own.   ;D

Anyways, I just realized that I won't get a screw in square jack...duh.  The pre-drilled Smallbear boxes are starting to seem pretty useless.

El Caballo

Cliff makes the rectangular power jacks, part #FC68148, that many people use.  You'd have to check the drawing to see whether the dimensions are right.

No, I don't know where to get them in small quantities.

KerryF

Hey.  I have 1.  Yea only 1, but I will trade for some stuff, with money if needed.  You have 100k trimmers or any of the other things in my thread in the Buying Forum you want to trade for?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Those rectangular Cliff sockets are only PCB mount, anyway.
It might be possible to get a "normal" round power socket to fit one of those square holes by putting washers fore and aft.