Need help finding appropriate programmer

Started by RaceDriver205, November 19, 2006, 11:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaceDriver205

I really need some help finding a good programmer for Atmel microcontrollers. I looked at the STK500, but it doesn't support ATTiny13 or ATMega64, and I looked at the AVRISP MkII, but I want something capable of High-voltage programming as well. From farnell, the AVRISP only has a 6-pin connector, instead of the 10-pin normal one, which is even more frustrating.
I really couldn't have anticipated what a nightmare this programming buisness is. Can someone point me in the right direction?

RaceDriver205

Nah, forget it, its not the programmer. I just realised its not working coz ive set the fuses to "00" instead of "11", which means ive told it to use an external oscillator - which it doesn't have.
Which brings me to a new question: If ive set the ATTiny13 to use an external oscillator (which is doesn't have), and therefore I can't ICSP program it, how do I set the fuses back?

The Tone God

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on November 19, 2006, 11:15:23 PM
I really need some help finding a good programmer for Atmel microcontrollers. I looked at the STK500, but it doesn't support ATTiny13 or ATMega64, and I looked at the AVRISP MkII, but I want something capable of High-voltage programming as well. From farnell, the AVRISP only has a 6-pin connector, instead of the 10-pin normal one, which is even more frustrating.
I really couldn't have anticipated what a nightmare this programming buisness is. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Lets clear a few things up. The STK500 DOES support the Tiny13 and Mega64. You will need an adaptor of some sort for the Mega64 as I believe it does not come in DIP form and the STK500 has only DIP sockets on board. The AVRISP is ISP programming only hence no HV and the name AVRISP. 6-pin is the normal ISP interface but you can use the 10-pin interface with the correct cable just fine. My AVRISP MkI came with both 6-pin and 10-pin cables. I don't know about the MkII. The only difference between the two are the pinouts which are well documented.

Look in to either a STK500 or maybe a Dragon depending on your needs.

Stop me if you heard this one. You will save yourself more time and money in the end by buying a good programmer then using one of the cheap programmers. ;)

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on November 20, 2006, 04:23:29 AM
If ive set the ATTiny13 to use an external oscillator (which is doesn't have), and therefore I can't ICSP program it, how do I set the fuses back?

I belive you need to supply an external clock source to program the uC like crystal, resonator, etc. Maybe even HV programming I'm not sure. If you had a STK500 it would have the facilties to reprogram the uC as it includes an external clock source on board for these situations.

Andrew

RaceDriver205

QuoteThe STK500 DOES support the Tiny13 and Mega64.
Oh, OK cool. It just didn't say so in its manual.
QuoteStop me if you heard this one. You will save yourself more time and money in the end by buying a good programmer then using one of the cheap programmers.
If you live in the US, and can buy from digi-key. If you live in Australia, things get a bit different. I can get it for about $340 dollars AUS here. Given that I figured out my simple programmer is working perfectly, Ill hold onto my $340 a wee bit longer!  ;)

The Tone God

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on November 20, 2006, 07:10:47 PM
Oh, OK cool. It just didn't say so in its manual.

The paper manual is horrible out of date. Even the ones they ship with new STK500s. The documentation that comes with AVRStudio, the help files, is kept up to date so use that instead of the paper manual. Yet another reason to make sure to use the most recent service pack as the documentation is updated through the service pack.

Also note that the tutorals at my site use the Tiny13 with the STK500. ;)

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on November 20, 2006, 07:10:47 PM
If you live in the US, and can buy from digi-key. If you live in Australia, things get a bit different. I can get it for about $340 dollars AUS here. Given that I figured out my simple programmer is working perfectly, Ill hold onto my $340 a wee bit longer!  ;)

Thats fine. Its your time and money. I'll just remind you again the next time. :)

Andrew

RaceDriver205

QuoteThats fine. Its your time and money. I'll just remind you again the next time.
Hehe! Its a deal  ;D