Starting a TS 808 Tube Screamer

Started by rasco22862, November 22, 2006, 03:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasco22862

Hi, im gonna build this pedal from the generalguitargadgets page. I have a few doubts:

1)I couldnt get the 1N914, i get the 1N4148. Is this the same?
2) I order the JRC4558D, and i get the CHN 4558C. Is this the same?
3)I couldnt get the 2SC1815, i get the 2N3904. Is this the same?
4)I couldnt get the 51 pF capacitator, i get a 56 pF. Is this the same?
5) The 1 uF capacitator are electrolytic and not Film. Is this the same?
6) Is there another layout or pcb of this project that is more simple?

Thanks.

Barcode80

Quote from: rasco22862 on November 22, 2006, 03:44:48 PM
1)I couldnt get the 1N914, i get the 1N4148. Is this the same?
They are functionally identical. so yes, they are interchangeable.

2) I order the JRC4558D, and i get the CHN 4558C. Is this the same?
Same as above.

you'll have to check the hFe of the 2n3904 and make sure it is close, but as long as they are both NPN transistors, it should work regardless. it might change the sound though... google the part numbers and look at a datasheet for each, compare and contrast.

4)I couldnt get the 51 pF capacitator, i get a 56 pF. Is this the same?
not the same, but so close it won't matter.

5) The 1 uF capacitator are electrolytic and not Film. Is this the same?
i would be easier if you used film, simply because the electrolytic must be situated a certain way to work. since you seem novice (as am i :)) i would think you probably don't want to venture into that territory. see if you can get a fiml or ceramic cap for that.

6) Is there another layout or pcb of this project that is more simple?
search function...

rasco22862

1)How could i know in this layout, where is the + side of the C2 and C8 capacitators?

2)I didnt find a layout or pcb of this project that is more simple. Does somebody know one?

fixr1984

Go to the top of the page and click on the layouts gallery.
Torchy has layout in there for vero.
Here it is
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album28/screamer

rasco22862

Yes but i cant see the conections between the components.

mdh

Quote from: rasco22862 on November 22, 2006, 05:00:15 PM
1)How could i know in this layout, where is the + side of the C2 and C8 capacitators?

The caps in those positions are generally non-polar electrolytics, meaning that they don't have + and - sides. If you can't get these, then you should use some other kind of non-polarized capacitor, such as polyester film. The trouble is that those tend to be physically large in values near 1uF. If you go with electrolytics, you should make sure that they are non-polar; since they're relatively uncommon, they're typically marked N.P., and conspicuosly lack a "- - -" or "+ + +" band on the outside of the cap.

2)I didnt find a layout or pcb of this project that is more simple. Does somebody know one?

You might like the Tonepad (http://tonepad.com/) layout a little better. Francisco keeps all of the connections for a given pot adjacent to each other, which makes the offboard wiring a lot easier, IMO. His layout is also a little closer to square, so you may be able to fit it in a smaller box than the GGG layout.

rasco22862

I made a layout based on the ggg layout. Its very similar, except i made a few changes to make it simple for soldering the traces, because i dont know how to do a PCB. I think every connection is correct., What do you think?

searoad

IIRC they have different pinouts
so check the datasheet first, maybe u will have to twist the leads.

rasco22862

Im using all ceramic capacitors, except the 1 uf ,these are film, and the electrolytic ones, is there any diferrence between using film ones and ceramic ones??

KerryF

Ceramic capacitors dont have as good a sound quality in audio projects.  Films are better...

axeman010

Hi there Rasco

Really surprised that you cant get all the right bits for your Tube Screamer. It must be one of the most DIY'd pedals ever !!!

Where are you based and who are you trying to get the bits from ????

If its one of your first builds I would recommend sourcing the right bits, it going to make your life so much easier and you'll  soon be using the sucker rather than tearing your hair out, burning your fingers and swearing a lot.

Best of luck

Axeman
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way

rasco22862

oldrocker

Generally call1800 is correct about films and ceramic although I've built 2 TS's and one has film the other ceramic.  In my case I wouldn't say the film one sounds better but different although I'm sure there are many who would dissagree.  I like the dirty grind sound I get from my ceramic TS too.  I use my ceramic one more when playing in the band.  But I think it's a matter of opinion.

rasco22862

Quote from: oldrocker on November 24, 2006, 09:46:33 AM
Generally call1800 is correct about films and ceramic although I've built 2 TS's and one has film the other ceramic.  In my case I wouldn't say the film one sounds better but different although I'm sure there are many who would dissagree.  I like the dirty grind sound I get from my ceramic TS too.  I use my ceramic one more when playing in the band.  But I think it's a matter of opinion.

do you make you own PCB or you solder the traces like me??

oldrocker

I solder traces using perf board.  I did use film caps in place of the .22uf tantalums and non - polar electro 1uf caps where they were specified.  Other than that most the others were ceramic.  I love my TS.  I use mine along with the Professor Tweed I built from ROG.  It going into my SS amp and sounds great.

rasco22862

I noticed that there is a few diferences between the tonepad components and the ggg components?
2)Should i go with the original symetrical clipping or the assimetrical??

oldrocker

Again it's a matter of opinion.  I did mine using the Tonepad layout so I have the asym diode setup.  You could add a switch to go between the two clipping modes.

rasco22862

is this a 1uf film capacitor???

i´m from argentina

Barcode80

should be. capacitor codes are generally written with three digits, and in picofarads. the first two digits, in this case 1 and 0, indicate the first two numbers of the value. the third is the number of zeros following the first 2 digits. so with a five, you get 1,000,000 picofarads. using a conversion chart (this one is my favorite, very easy to use - http://www.justradios.com/uFnFpF.html), you can see that 1,000,000 pF is equal to 1uF.

rasco22862