Flatline Compressor Layout

Started by markm, November 23, 2006, 05:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

Hey Guys,
I just added the Layout for the Flatline Compressor into my layouts gallery. http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album15
There's both a PCB layout and for the Perf builders there's a perf layout too.
For the etchers, I tried adding the dimensions to the PNP transfer to help aid in printing the transfer to the correct dimensions.
Please take a look and let me know if this could be helful.
BTW, this new layout is small and compact enough to fit into a 1590B with NO problem  :)

oldrocker

Alright MarkM,  Thanks for posting that one.  I will build one right after Thanksgiving sometime so this will be right on time.  All I need is some more diodes.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving. :icon_biggrin:

MartyMart

Mark, I see holes for the LED but no Image & no mention of it in the list of parts !!

MM  :icon_wink:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

markm

Well,
You're correct on that Marty!
I opted to just leave the spot for the LDR/LED assembly as I used a VTL5C2 (thanks $uperpuma!)
The upper most area is marked on the layout for the LDR and to the left of C5 is where the LED is located with a (+) for orientation
of the LED.
It didn't look too confusing to me but, I was the one doing the layout so, I knew where most everything goes!!  :icon_wink:

KerryF

Nice Thanksgiving gift to use Mark  :) .  Looks very simple, but I found my favorite compressor last nice  ;)

markm

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on November 23, 2006, 10:05:23 PM
Nice Thanksgiving gift to use Mark  :) .  Looks very simple, but I found my favorite compressor last nice  ;)
I think I know which one that is!! ;D
I wanted to make the Flatline a bit more compact.
Been working on it on & off for awhile but, I wasn't satisfied with the reults.
Now, I works well and sounds good and is compact but not crowded.
The biggest thing for me was I wanted it to fit in a small box and now it does.  :)

KerryF

Cool.

Now when are you going to add that layout for the thing (I think Rangemaster varient) in that thread that you wanted to ask permission to post.

I always check out your gallery (like every day) hopeing for new layouts  :)

markm

Oh......
That's the "Texas Cattledrive".
If everything goes right tomorrow, you should see it in the gallery by Friday evening!  :icon_smile:

markm

Anyone try using the PNP transfer of this with the dimensions??

David

Quote from: markm on November 23, 2006, 05:33:11 PM
Hey Guys,
I just added the Layout for the Flatline Compressor into my layouts gallery. http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album15
There's both a PCB layout and for the Perf builders there's a perf layout too.
For the etchers, I tried adding the dimensions to the PNP transfer to help aid in printing the transfer to the correct dimensions.
Please take a look and let me know if this could be helful.
BTW, this new layout is small and compact enough to fit into a 1590B with NO problem  :)

Mark:

Not to complain or whine, but what is the possibility of making this PCB a little narrower (say 1.0 to 1.1 inches wide) so it fits in a 1590A?

markm

David

markm

Well,
It's not an impossible task however, between the LED/LDR assembly and the IC, you lose alot of real-estate right off the bat.  :icon_neutral:

David

Quote from: markm on November 27, 2006, 02:08:03 PM
Well,
It's not an impossible task however, between the LED/LDR assembly and the IC, you lose a lot of real-estate right off the bat.  :icon_neutral:

Agreed.  The diodes don't help either.  OK, how about this?  The 1590A may be challenging in terms of length and width, but there's probably some height going to waste.  What's the possibility of creating a daughterboard that could be suspended underneath?  Yeah, yeah, I know - I should do it myself.

markm

I don't know as if there'd be room depthwise either as the 1590A has the same depth as the B box.
Look here>>>>http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg.htm
However, the circuit could probably be condensed a bit by standing up resistors on end as well as the LED/LDR setup but, then the depth becomes an issue because there are other off-board stuff that it would have to clear in order to fit such as 2 pots, footswitch, a couple of jacks for in + output and a DC jack if desired, actually the DC jack would be required since the room for the battery is gone!  :icon_confused:
I'll bet it can be done but, I don't know how practical it would be?

David

Whelp, guess I got me a leetle dee-sign job to do...

OK, your layout is excellent.  As I recall, it's about 0.1" too wide to go into a 1590A.  I like your idea about standing the resistors up -- especially if I were to use the 1/8th watt resistors I like.  I doubt I could stand the opto up, but I'll bet that the diodes could stand up.  Finally, I'd take a crack at using those 9mm pots.  I'd also use 1/8" jacks.  And yes, I'd use a barrel connector.  I don't use batteries any more.

I've got some pedals that I need more, so I'm going to build them first.  If I take this on, I'll send you the pattern after I've proven it works.  You may then do with it what you will.

markm

David,
I'd bet it wouldn't be a problem to stand up the opto for less space on the board.
I think you have some good ideas here and please do let me know when you get it done, I'd like to take a look!  :icon_wink:

David

Mark, you can look, change or do whatever with it.  You're gonna own it!

markm

markm