Flatline Compressor Layout

Started by markm, November 23, 2006, 05:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laus

Don't know if this is the right topic...but I have two small questions about the schematic.

- what's the role of R1 being as heigh as 10M? Won't that pop when switching?
- is there a way to me the diodes not Ge but Si and compensate that somewhere?

thnx!
Damn I love my pedals...

markm

Mine doesn't Pop.  ???
I beleive the Ge Diodes are essential for the circuit to function correctly.

blanik

how does the flatline compare to the Ross or OS (generic description)?

R.
i'm not entirely satisfied with the Ross and i've realised i need more the sustain fx than the compress fx...

markm

Quote from: blanik on February 08, 2007, 02:53:24 PM
i need more the sustain fx than the compress fx...

I don't think you can acheive one without the other really..... ???

blanik

as long as it sustains...  :)

what is the good reason for me to build a Flatline to replace my Ross?

R.

markm

Quote from: blanik on February 08, 2007, 10:16:22 PM
R.

I'm not sure I can actually give you a reason to build it.
The Flatline sounds very good but, I don't know as if it can offer you more sustain than the Ross.
I can assure you though that it will sound different!  :icon_wink:

blanik

Quote from: markm on February 08, 2007, 10:26:55 PM
Quote from: blanik on February 08, 2007, 10:16:22 PM
R.

I'm not sure I can actually give you a reason to build it.
The Flatline sounds very good but, I don't know as if it can offer you more sustain than the Ross.
I can assure you though that it will sound different!  :icon_wink:

good thing you're not a compressor salesman...!  :icon_eek:

:D

i like the Ross but there's something missing in my sound when it's on, it narrows to much the frequencies or something... so far the best stompbox comp i tried was the Punch Factory by Aphex...

i heard good thing here about the flatline (specialy from you! lol) so i was wondering if this one might have been my DIY punch factory...  :)

markm

Quote from: blanik on February 09, 2007, 02:55:00 AM

i heard good thing here about the flatline (specialy from you! lol) so i was wondering if this one might have been my DIY punch factory...  :)

Okay.
I'll accept the responsibility!
Being that the Flatline is of the optical design, I would think it would get you closer to the Punch Factory than the Ross will.
With that said though, having never used or heard the Punch Factory, I have to say that the 280a Comp may be closer still although the 280a circuit does suffer from quite a slow recovery when set at or near max compression.

blanik

you're right, it might be the optical thing... nerver tried one (dunno if the Punch Factory optical?)...

markm

Quote from: blanik on February 09, 2007, 02:28:24 PM
you're right, it might be the optical thing... nerver tried one (dunno if the Punch Factory optical?)...

Yeah, it is.

djwackfriz

Hi guys

I just finished building this circuit on PCB, but I'm getting a ground short somewhere - I forgot to check continuity, put in the battery, and a minute later the battery was too hot to touch!

I've cut into the board wherever there is the possibility of a solder bridge, double checked the orientation of the VTL5C2 and the TL072, as well as pots / jack / switch...

is there any way G5 (which decouples) could be causing a ground short? It IS oriented according to the layout...

djwackfriz

OK update, I removed D5, and the short went away and the circuit sounds AWESOME... totally blows away my BBE Opto-Stomp as far as sustain and volume. Awesome job guys!