DS-1 RF problems and OCD popping

Started by Stratomaster, November 24, 2006, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stratomaster

Howdy,
     I recently picked up an OCD pedal (no, this isn't another OCD thread) and it doesn't like playing nice with my DS-1.  I use the DS-1 as my primary distortion (it's been modded and sounds better than anything I've tried--I LOVE this pedal!) and layer the OCD on top for leads.  This job used to belong to my TS-9, but the OCD is much better at it.  Anyway, the OCD only pops when engaged if it is before the DS-1 in the signal chain.  Also, it makes the RF interference with the DS-1 more noticeable when the OCD is bypassed.  What's really strange is that when both pedals are on, the RF interference goes away.  I was thinking this may be an impedance mis-match issue.  If that's the case, how do I fix it?  I was also considering true-bypassing the DS-1, but it sounds like a hassle and would only solve the RF and popping problems while the pedal is off.  I'm really stumped!  Thanks in advance.

BJF

Hi,

The popping is likely caused by the input cap of your DS-1 floating-  connect a 1M resistor to ground from inputjack pole on the DS-1.

The OCD is true bypass and eachtime you toggle the OCD switch theinput cap on the DS-1 discharges.

RF problem: you might want to try limiting the useful bandwidth to audio by restricting the gain at HF with the firts gain transistor of DS-1 ( that's if it is an old one). There are various points that can be troublesome and you may have to experiment.

Got to run have fun
BJ

Stratomaster

Howdy,
     I tried the 1M resistor with no such luck.  You do mean from one solder lug (hot input) to one of the 2 other ground lugs on the same jack, correct?  What I noticed is that if I put a TS-9 in between the two, the pop decreases dramatically.  This gives me the idea to modify the DS-1 to have an always on TS-9 style input buffer.  I would just put a TS-9 in between the two, but my board real estate is precious.  Maybe I'm just not putting the pull-down resistor in correctly.  Does any of this make sense?
-Omar

Stratomaster

Bump-ness.

I guess the main question is, how do I install that 1M resistor.  Was I right to put it from the hot lug to the solder lug on the input jack?  Thanks!

Barcode80

sort of, although you probably should have soldered it on the circuit itself. solder it to a jack and about 50 plug in/pull-out cycles will likely break the connection. the reason the pop goes away when you run the ds-1 first in the chain is because the buffer stage of the ds-1 prevents it from happening. it seems the problem is with the OCD. try placing a 1M from signal input to ground on the OCD circuit. should clear it up.

Stratomaster

The problem with that is that the pop only happens with the DS-1.  If I put any other pedal after the OCD, it doesn't happen.  There's something else going on with this set-up, and it's driving me nuts.  Every other pedal I put after the OCD does not cause this popping.  It likely is the DS-1, but I don't know how to fix it.  Is there anything else that could be causing this interaction problem?  Back when I used my true-bypass wah and DS-1 there was no popping.  So it isn't a true-bypass issue.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Stratomaster

Stratomaster

SOLVED!!!

I used the IC buffer from ggg and it worked beautifully.  Increased the RF though, but then I popped a 100pF cap across the input and ground connections on my perfboard.  Everything's back to normal, but there's a little bit of a change to the sound of my wah.  If this doesn't work out, I'll sub in the TS-9 buffer.

Just in case this happens to anyone, I want the solution documented here.

-OMJ