Texas Cattledrive in the gallery

Started by markm, November 24, 2006, 01:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

Hi y'all,
Just added the verified layout for the Texas Cattledrive here>>>>http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album15
There are both PCB and Perf layouts plus, I added the dimensions to the PCB transfer to help with printing the PCB to
the correct scale for etching.
Please let me know if the scale measurements are helpful for you cowpokes.
This circuit is clearly a relative of the Rangemaster but, the tone control on the input really allows you to dial in the amount or
lack there of treble to taste.
I subbed the bias resistor for a trimpot to make biasing the Germ tranny a bit easier.
This thing is capable of pushing a tube amp into a nice Germ-soaked overdrive!
A special thank you to Ted Weber for permission to post and being supportive of us here in the DIY community.
Consider this build instead of the standard Rangemaster as it is much more versatile as well as being single-coil friendly!

KerryF

Thanks for another layout Mark!  I guess its time to breadboard this!  Im going to do it without the Level control at the end.

I will let you know how it goes.  :)

markm

Quite welcome my friend.
I like doing layouts for circuits, it's good "therapy"  :icon_lol:
It's kinda like doing a puzzle and I find it very rewarding when they work, when they don't well....I won't go there!
No Level huh? Flat-Out all the time!  ;D

Dragonfly

IIRC (i'm not looking at the schemo's)....its basically a Orange / Apollo Treble and Bass Booster.

markm

Quote from: Dragonfly on November 24, 2006, 01:36:08 PM
IIRC (i'm not looking at the schemo's)....its basically a Orange / Apollo Treble and Bass Booster.
It's along those lines but, I beleive it to be a bitvdifferent than the Orange.
Just between us Andy.......I like the Creampie more  :icon_wink:
SHHHH. Don't tell anybody  :icon_razz:

Marcos - Munky

Thanks a lot. Where's the schematic for it?

Gilles C

Markm, you really like it grittier than me...  :)

The CreamPie is a bit too harsh for me.

I received my Ge transistors this week, but I could have to wait the kit for the Castle Drive I ordered before I can wire something.

Gilles

markm

Quote from: Gilles C on November 25, 2006, 12:55:29 AM
Markm, you really like it grittier than me...  :)

The CreamPie is a bit too harsh for me.

Well, I think it depends on how the tranny is biased + I tend to use my volume knob rolled off a bit on the Tele.
It is truly amazing how the volume and tone knobs can effect your overall tone.
Many I know NEVER touch the guitar controls, they leave 'em flat out.  :icon_confused:

KerryF

I tried to breadboard it, but I didnt have a 500k trimmer.  I used a 50k (WAY to small), so it didnt work.  Ehh another time.  :D

What you working on now?  Any new pedals or layouts?

Oh, hold on I have to PM you something... (Not something big, but just a suiggestion for ya)  ;)

Kerry

markm

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on November 25, 2006, 09:22:21 AM
I tried to breadboard it, but I didnt have a 500k trimmer.  I used a 50k (WAY to small), so it didnt work.  Ehh another time.  :D

What you working on now?  Any new pedals or layouts?

Oh, hold on I have to PM you something... (Not something big, but just a suiggestion for ya)  ;)

Kerry

Thanks for the PM Kerry  :icon_biggrin:
You could always try biasing it with resistors :icon_neutral:
The trim pot isn't in the original, I put in the layout for convenience sake.

Gilles C

Quote from: markm on November 25, 2006, 09:19:11 AM
Well, I think it depends on how the tranny is biased + I tend to use my volume knob rolled off a bit on the Tele.
It is truly amazing how the volume and tone knobs can effect your overall tone.
Many I know NEVER touch the guitar controls, they leave 'em flat out.  :icon_confused:

:icon_redface:You're right. That's my problem. It's something I want to correct this year. A simple circuit affected by the signal level like Cattle Drive could help...

I'm also trying to add some Country feeling to my playing...

Gilles

markm

Quote from: Gilles C on November 25, 2006, 10:12:44 AM

Now that's a step in the right direction!  :icon_lol:

Dragonfly

Quote from: markm on November 25, 2006, 10:30:43 AM
Quote from: Gilles C on November 25, 2006, 10:12:44 AM

Now that's a step in the right direction!  :icon_lol:

Direct from the man who quotes Dwight in his sig !   :icon_mrgreen:

and a quote from me.... "TWANG IS GOOD."

AC

Gilles C

Oh... another twang fan
:D
Btw, maybe that I will have a reason to use my compressor after that...
:icon_lol:

Gilles

ramblin

Gilles C

There is a 250K Volume control in the original schematic.

Oh... gain... sorry...

Gilles

tcobretti

Quote from: ramblin on November 26, 2006, 06:53:45 PM
Can we add a gain control to this?

It is not going to introduce much distortion, just make your guitar louder and eq it a bit.  So, a gain control isn't necessary.

JHS

The Ge-trannie has a great influence on the sound. I tried AC-types first but they didn't clean up well when the guitar vol is rolled back (the sound becomes muddy). OC75/76 and AF126/127 worked much better for me

I use a 100k for the 82k and wired another R parallel to bias the booster. Tried a 100k trimpot first but the pot produced to much loss and thinned out the sound.

JHS

markm

I used one of Aron's CV7112 and it sounds real good!
All the Ge's I have received from Aron have sounded superb to my ears and they are readily available right at this very place!
(just a small "plug" for our kind host here!  :icon_wink: )

Gilles C

Did you have to adjust the values of the resistors a lot?

I read some comments today that a few builders had to use larger resistors at the base and at the collector.

Gilles