Tremulus Lune Build Report

Started by Kholinar, November 24, 2006, 11:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kholinar

I just finished this pedal a couple of nights ago.  I used the CBCB method and I was so pleasantly surprised with the results.  I actually had less trouble with this build than any of my other PCB builds.  It could just be luck or that my soldering skills are improving, but I'm very happy.  I added the rate doubler and sawtooth switch, and I was planning on possibly adding at symmetry knob later. 

I've come to love the info in the debugging post.  Working as tech support has taught me, regarding others, to never make any assumptions on level of knowledge or the obvious things people can miss.  So far I've made about every silly mistake possible from not seating op-amps to thinking I'd made a mistake on my trem build when I'd actually never turned up the gain knob.

Formerly I built a Shin Ei Companion and a Big Cheese.  I love them both, especially the big cheese as I sold mine a long time ago... but this trem makes me happier than either of them.  Highly recommended!

I'll post pics soon.

markm

The Trem Lune does get rave reviews but, I never really liked it.
Maybe I'm too old for it or something but the EA was and still is my fave trem.
BTW, congratulations on your success and many happy returns too!  :)

alfafalfa

Sorry Mark,

Have to disagree with you. I have built both and imho  the EA trem is not quite as smooth as the TL.
I like both of them but for smoothness I would always choose the Tremulous Lune.
I found a cheap solution to box it up.
All these alu boxes are costing me a fortune.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/89c72020-6421-4b5d-8fdd-e9c447375f22

Alf

markm

Quote from: alfafalfa on November 25, 2006, 10:13:23 AM
Sorry Mark,
Have to disagree with you.

Hey, that's quite alright, I'm sure many will disagree with me on this subject and what works for one guy doesn't mean it will for another.
I just fin the EA more appealing and user friendly.
BTW, nice enclosure but, how would I etch one of those??  :icon_lol:

Dragonfly

I'M WITH MARK ON THIS ONE !  I THINK THE LUNE IS A GREAT TREMOLO, BUT I PREFER THE TONE OF THE EA. PLUS, WITH A FEW MODS (DEPTH MOD / DUAL RATE / DUAL VOLUME) IT BECOMES VERY VERSATILE !

HERE ARE A FEW SOUNDCLIPS OF MY MODIFIED EA :

LOW-MID DEPTH, TOGGLING BETWEEN FAST AND SLOW

HIGH DEPTH, TOGGLING BETWEEN FAST AND SLOW

DIRTY TREMOLO

USING THE BOOST FUNCTION ONLY - NO TREMOLO

AC

markm

Thanks for the back-up Andy!!  :icon_biggrin:
Sounds real good,
Now, If I'm not mistaken, I thought I heard a bit of the Outlaws in one of those clips??

Dragonfly

Quote from: markm on November 25, 2006, 10:48:52 AM

Now, If I'm not mistaken, I thought I heard a bit of the Outlaws in one of those clips??

Don't know...if it was, it was coincidental !  ( I don't know how to play any Outlaws songs...well, i guess I must "suconscienciously know how ! )

AC

alfafalfa

Sounds good Dragonfly , I thought you were playing the first chords of the Who's  : Baba O' Riley .
Your EA sounds like mine , it's just a bit choppier than the TL.
Luckily we've all got different tastes. The TL comes closer to an oldfashioned Fender Trem im.

What  transistors did you use > in mine are bc109's >  ?

Alf

KerryF

Sounds great Andrew!

It sounds like a really nice tremelo.  I guess that may now be on my list.  :)

markm

Quote from: Dragonfly on November 25, 2006, 10:56:49 AM

Don't know...if it was, it was coincidental !  ( I don't know how to play any Outlaws songs...well, i guess I must "suconscienciously know how ! )

AC

"Green Grass and High Tides"  :icon_wink:

I liked the lune enough to box it up......

Dragonfly

Quote from: alfafalfa on November 25, 2006, 11:16:38 AM
Sounds good Dragonfly , I thought you were playing the first chords of the Who's  : Baba O' Riley .
Your EA sounds like mine , it's just a bit choppier than the TL.
Luckily we've all got different tastes. The TL comes closer to an oldfashioned Fender Trem im.

What  transistors did you use > in mine are bc109's >  ?

Alf

Good lord...i'l try and access my "mental rolodex" :D

I "think" I used a BS170, a J201, and for Q3, a NTE47...i used the NTE because of its high hfe, which seemed to work best with this trem. 

I didnt do any soundclips of "shallow" tremolo, but it does that extremely well too.

A few mods later, and I'm pretty happy with it :D

Dragonfly

Quote from: markm on November 25, 2006, 11:26:07 AM
Quote from: Dragonfly on November 25, 2006, 10:56:49 AM

AC

"Green Grass and High Tides"  :icon_wink:

I liked the lune enough to box it up......

BTW Mark...i never asked you...are you by chance an "engineer" in real life ?  Everything you do looks so precise and just turns out great !

AC

Kholinar

Yeah, everyone has their faves, I picked the Lune because I like tweakability and didn't see mods for the EA, etc.  I have an old ampeg with a fab trem that I'm selling, so this is going to have to be a pseudo-replacement.  After having one knob this is much fun. ;)

Quote from: alfafalfa on November 25, 2006, 10:13:23 AM
I found a cheap solution to box it up.
All these alu boxes are costing me a fortune.

Ha... I did something very similar.  Mine is an old network switch box. :D  After a while everything begins to seem like a potential enclosure. :P

Dragonfly

Quote from: Kholinar on November 25, 2006, 11:54:09 AM
Yeah, everyone has their faves, I picked the Lune because I like tweakability and didn't see mods for the EA, etc. 

Nice looking pedal !

If you want some mods for the EA, i can send them to you...some are in my gallery...

AC

markm

Quote from: Dragonfly on November 25, 2006, 11:37:49 AM
BTW Mark...i never asked you...are you by chance an "engineer" in real life ?  Everything you do looks so precise and just turns out great !

AC

I wish I was  :icon_frown:
If I was an engineer, I'd be able to afford this hobby!
No, No, I'm in the automotive business and I'm just a Country Tele player that does all this for kicks!
I do have some art background and paint experience + I find ideas for stuff everywhere.
Thanks for the compliment Andy and while were at it, I read your Bio at MySpace....Impressive Indeed my friend!

$uperpuma

I am a trem lune fan, myself... but my EA sounds pretty good, although SLOW... do your mods address this andy?  Its true that EVERYTHING starts looking like a potential enclosure once the sickness sets in... I have a strong urge to attempt to etch everything... the mantle of fault for that, I would place squarely on Mark's shoulders...:)
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Dragonfly

Quote from: $uperpuma on November 25, 2006, 12:54:26 PM
I am a trem lune fan, myself... but my EA sounds pretty good, although SLOW... do your mods address this andy?  Its true that EVERYTHING starts looking like a potential enclosure once the sickness sets in... I have a strong urge to attempt to etch everything... the mantle of fault for that, I would place squarely on Mark's shoulders...:)

if you lower the value of the 3 1uF caps to either .82uF or .68uF, it will increase the available top speed.

Kholinar

Quote from: Dragonfly on November 25, 2006, 01:10:10 PM
if you lower the value of the 3 1uF caps to either .82uF or .68uF, it will increase the available top speed.

hmmm... well if speed's not an issue, then could you send me the depth mod?  I see the rest in your gallery.  Seems like those really add to the EA. :)

markm

Quote from: $uperpuma on November 25, 2006, 12:54:26 PM
I have a strong urge to attempt to etch everything... the mantle of fault for that, I would place squarely on Mark's shoulders...:)

:icon_lol:
It is addicting isn't it??
I have a friend of mine that want's me to etch some pieces for his Harley!

Dragonfly

Quote from: Kholinar on November 25, 2006, 01:15:28 PM
Quote from: Dragonfly on November 25, 2006, 01:10:10 PM

hmmm... well if speed's not an issue, then could you send me the depth mod?  I see the rest in your gallery.  Seems like those really add to the EA. :)

the higher hfe Q3 "helps" with the depth...also, lowering the value of the 68k resistor will help the depth.