Ibanez WH-10 Wah in Crybaby Shell

Started by Dirk_Hendrik, November 26, 2006, 12:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk_Hendrik

Techstuff at the bottom  ;)

A time I got the request (from a RHCH fan, naturally) to transfer the guts of Ibanez WH10 in a Crybaby shell and have it TB.  The reason for that was simple, WH10's sits in a plastic housing which is not really firm (slack it is not  but nevertheless).

Now since the PCB of a WH10 covers approximately the whole bottom of the WH10's casing transferring it to a crybaby and having the whole thing still reliable suggests disaster. For this reason I decided, the moment the WH10 was coming my way, to make a fresh PCB  with the same dimensions as the print of standard crybaby, based  on the schematic of a WH-10 as can be found online.  Mount it in the crybaby's case and done....

Not

WH10 exists in 2 versions (single pot and dual pot) and the version I got was the dual pot version while the PCB I made was the single pot version (and a totally different circuit as well). Murphy is never wrong in cases like this one..... The job got finished (new PCB) at the end but took a lot more time that expected.

Consequence was that I still had that wrong PCB around and this afternoon I dcided to hook  it up mand play with it, manually rotating the Wah pot. With positive results I took an "old" Hendrix wah lying around (and bought defective for a project like this one) drilled a few additional holes and dumped the stuff in:

- The not assembled jack is the dry out which I had personally don't need .
- A toggle will do but I had a multipole rotaryswich left over from a cancelled project to be used for the gtr/bass setting.

The result being,
I have wah which sounds pretty good and will be tried out tomorow during bandrehearsal.

so, wrapping up for those who the lef this also want do:
http://www.dirk-hendrik.com/wh10.pdf

And for the reference to the original,
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=2293

But verify, the moment you have yourself a wah shell, with a piece of cardboard and this layout, if all will fit. The internal sizes of wah shell's seems to vary.

For those interested in the dual pot, do a search on Birt's topic on the WH10 dual pot and browse to the bottom.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably