News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Power

Started by Fp-www.Tonepad.com, November 26, 2006, 12:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

This is a project I started long ago but didn't have time to finish until recently.

Nothing special about the circuit, which is pretty much the application note from the datasheet, but the layout includes pcb mounted DC jacks like those found on BOSS pedals, so wiring isn't as bad as with panel mounted jacks.

http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=59

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

markm

Thank You Sir...
I can't beleive I missed this!
It's good to see some new stuff from Fp at TP!

blanik

can you invert the polarity on a single one of those DC jacks (to accomodate a reverse polarity pedal) without shorting the whole thing?

R.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

no. you'd short the positive to ground, exactly the same as with any other parallel output power supply.

aron

Yes, this type of circuit works great. It's great because your overdrive sounds exactly the same from gig to gig because the power supply is accurate.

Thanks!

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

davph30

If you want to change the polarity to a pedel just make one of the leads a cross-over changing the pip on one end

Pushtone

Instead of a transformer mounted in the enclosure can I use an external one like this 120V to 12VAC adapter?
http://www.rpelectronics.com/Default.asp?Main=/English/OnlineCat.asp?Menu=/English/Content/Categories/CatM_68.asp%26Detail=/English/Content/Items/RP-1283.asp

Wouldn't this help reduce hum by getting the transformer off the pedalboard?
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Definitely, you may use a 12vac wall wart.

aron

Batteries can be cool, but it is not cool when your overdrive reacts and sounds different on each gig. When I went to a stable power supply, everything was repeatable for me. This is a good useful build for anyone.

jimbob

Can most of these parts be found at radio shack (not that im a fan of the ratshack) but it is convienient. And the 1n4002- I have some 1n4001, - Much difference?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

rockgardenlove

Those should be fine I think.

It would be pretty cool to include a voltometer thing so you could tell how much it was outputting!

Barcode80

davph30: nope, any lead crossing on a parallel design will short a positive to ground and no pedals will power up.

PenPen

Nice. This is pretty close to what I was planning to build. I have most of the parts for this. I'll report back if I DO get the time to build one (though with the ice storm I've had my hands plenty full lately), along with a mod or two that i had planned on putting into the power supply I had in mind.

Thanks yet again, Tonepad!