Metal Simplex! and what I've done to it!

Started by coxter, November 26, 2006, 10:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxter

Hi, I'm so happy i finally got ONE pedal going for me after fiddling around with DIY effects for so many months.

Mods:
I've read many threads about the Metal Simplex too along the way describing it as a 80's rock pedal instead of
a metal one, well yeah pretty much, but by changing the diodes to a pair of 4148 you can get much "metalish"
clipping.

And the tone control is not "trebly" enough for me so i changed the tone cap to a 22pF. LoL I'm not really sure
about what I'm actually doing to the circuit but it just sounds better to me.

However! Its extremely noisy until I added a .1uF cap between the input and ground. The noise is a hissing
sound, I read on some thread that it means its "catching" radio noise and the way to eliminate that is to solder
a 47 pf to the input and ground, but its not enough for me, so i used a 0.022uF at first but its almost noiseless
when i used a 0.1uF. Can anyone tell me what is it that I'm doing? LoL just curious.

I used Red for the Mods I added. and Socketed the 2 x 10K resistors to biasing purposes. Heres the schematic:

Problems:
I'm experiencing the Blatty or Gatey sound when my notes are too soft. But its just a really mild case, but still
irritating nonetheless. I've tried RG's debugging guide.

http://www.geofex.com/fxdebug/bias_prob.htm

But i've not sure i'm doing it right. My multi-meter is not sensitive enough, so these are the voltage readings
I'm getting with respect to ground.

Q1 (The one on the left)

E       B      C
0v   0.5v   1.1v

Q2 (The other one, LoL)

E       B      C
0v   0.7v   1.1v

What i've deduced its that the problem is with Q2 right?
But how am I supposed to rectify it ? Sorry for the noob question.

toneman

U have two point one caps  (.1mfd): the input(cap going right)  and the "noise canceler" going down.
Notice they are *both* the same size!!
RF (radio frequency) signals are VERY high frequency...and, in this case, probably are not your "noise".
For low level signals, U are shorting the signal to gnd   :-\
The "noise" could be "gain noise"; that is, trannys are operating at max amplification with no signal.
This is how some fuzzes operate, so some fuzzes have a cut-off point.
Sometimes this is called a "triggered fuzz".  Most fuzzes have very high gain.
Don't know what type of noise U have, but, based on your post, I would say it's Non musical?  maybe more of a "hiss".
Try a lower setting for the gain control....other than that I cannot say...
Definitely try removing the .1 to gnd...then the "triggering", "splatty effect" should go away.
T
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

MetalUpYerEye

I built this one a long while back too. Heard that using 2n5089's instead of the 2n3904's will give you much more gain and a better metal sound.  ;)

JHS

Add a resistors (100E or less) or a 470E trimpot beteeen the emitter and ground on both trannies, mayby this reduce the gating effect.

JHS

lovric

RF is not you prob. you are killing the signal with the new cond at input. you may also try to lower both collector's resistors to 4k7. it will make a bit more room for trannies to follow the input.

once someone corrects the simplex to the book it might cease to be 'metal'...  :D

coxter

Quote from: lovric on November 28, 2006, 12:07:53 PM
once someone corrects the simplex to the book it might cease to be 'metal'...  :D

Hehe, I don't really know what that means, but its not very metal to begin with, was just trying to make it sound metal.
I saw the "Scoop" mod thingy add in the dirty sanchez, do you think it'll work with the simplex if i add copy that part wholesale
and add it into the simplex?

---
I think you guys are right, its not radio noise, its probably gain noise. But it works really well, can i just leave it there?
--

Hey Lovric and JHS, now you two got me confused. So where should i place/change my resistors.
Ps: This is just my first pedal, so forgive me if I'm asking anything obvious.

rtill

This pedal can have tons of mods.....I've built about 15 of these so far....lots of different sounds you can get.  One thing I like to do to add tons of chunk to this circuit is add a 10 uf in parallel with the first .1 uf, with a 50k-100k pot in front of the 10 uf.  And for assymetrical clipping, try 3 diodes altogether....two on one side, one on the other.

----||-----
     |        |
     Z       |
  ->Z       |
  |  Z       |
  |  |       |
  ------||---

hope that looks right.

lovric

it doesn't matter what color the cat is as long as it catches mice  :)
sure try the Sanchez scoop or hammer's RosieRay scoop filter before the tone control. it'll lower the output a bit.

DejanS tried many diode combinations and likes one Si and one Ge best so far.

also see if www.muzique.com/lab/hum.htm helps!

coxter

Alrighty thanx, will try to report back in with some good news or recording soon