Sound Clips (where?)

Started by cheeb, November 27, 2006, 11:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheeb

I've been having trouble finding sound clips for a lot of circuits that look interesting, namely the Folk Fuzz, the LoFo, the Texas Cattledrive, and a myriad, no a plethora of others that get forgotten after I can't find a sound clip to verify whether it's something I can use or not. Is there anywhere someone can recommend that has clips for the more "obscure" circuits? Perhaps a sound clip thread? Thanks!

John Lyons

Maybe not what you wanted exactly but there are a a bunch here: www.mrdwab.com/john/soundclipspage.html
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Harry

No one would dare post a sound clip of an unmodified Lofo Mofo!

cheeb

Quote from: Harry on November 28, 2006, 11:29:09 AM
No one would dare post a sound clip of an unmodified Lofo Mofo!

That's what I hear. That what intrigues me so much about it. Plus I want to know if it's what I think it is, which would be supremely useful, or if it's something else altogether. The description of the Texas Cattledrive and many others sound like exactly what I need, but I can't tell until I hear them, and on a limited budget, it's hard to build these things and not be able to use them, even on a breadboard.

p.s. thanks for the link up there. That had a few that I've been questioning.

Harry

The Lofo Mofo removes far too much bass it sounds like your playing through one of those tiny piezo beepers. Not at all useful. When I built it I wanted more treble and lofi sound, but not that much treble! I probably haven't convinced you not to build it so I'll say it is a very simple build and changing the input cap to something larger creates a decent fuzz distortion.

mcasey1

I wouldnt say it is not useful at all, as usefulness is completely subjective.  Im not too fond of the sound of the Lofo by itself, but put it after a fuzz unit and it shapes the signal into a uniquely obnoxious sound which I find quite useful.  One mans trash is another mans treasure!  Besides its easy to toss together, supersimple.

Harry

Also if you distort it's output really hard, it's not bad for that cheese grater sound.

cheeb

I want to get the sound like music from an old radio, one for guitar and another with mic input/output for vocal recording. I had thought the LoFo was my magical box. The more I hear, the less it sounds like what I wanted and more like something else entirely, but still intriguing. Anybody know of another pedal that would give me that sound? For fans of Shooter Jennings, think the intro to "Manifesto No.1".

So what about the Folk Fuzz? Any sound clips or descriptions? Reviews?

Texas Cattledrive?

Harry

QuoteI want to get the sound like music from an old radio, one for guitar and another with mic input/output for vocal recording. I had thought the LoFo was my magical box. The more I hear, the less it sounds like what I wanted and more like something else entirely, but still intriguing. Anybody know of another pedal that would give me that sound?
That's exactly what I thought too. There is at least one other schematics promising a lofi sound, never tried it though.

cheeb

Am I the only one so poor and newb that I have to hear before I build? *how embarrassing...*  :icon_redface:

John Lyons

To get the "old Radio" sound all you need is a graphic EQ or equivilent circuit. Turn down the bass and treble bands and leave the mids or adjust to taste. A graphic EQ will be flexable and you can set it how you like...and not be stuck with a sound that is almost right...
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

cheeb

Quote from: Basicaudio on November 29, 2006, 10:45:10 AM
To get the "old Radio" sound all you need is a graphic EQ or equivilent circuit. Turn down the bass and treble bands and leave the mids or adjust to taste.

...holy crap... that's almost it. I just need it to be a little more crackly and have just a touch of the sound of a wah all the way toe-up. I'm almost there.

Now, on the the Texas Cattledrive and the Folk Fuzz...?

John Lyons

Cool, glad you got the sound...  You could try the Colorsound Inductorless wah with an EQ circuit. The CS wah is supper small and you could wire both these up in the same box with 2 switches. I love the sound of a wah filter set manually with a panel to get a nice quacking sound. If you fooled around with it you could just get the EQ curve with a low pass and high pass in series to make a band pass tailored to your sound. It should be pretty small as well.

The Texas cattle drive is basically a rangemaster no? I like the first half of the skyripper circuit which is a moddified Rangemaster. Makes any mildly ovedriven tube amp sing! In fact I'd just build the skyripper and your'll have a Hod rodded fuzz face and a rangemaster in one box with switchability between the two.  check out the "Range only" and "Fuzz + range" samples here: www.mrdwab.com/john/soundsamplespage.html

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

cheeb

I can't get that link to work. It vexes me.

What's the best way to set a graphic eq to a permanent position? I've been considering ways to recase it in such a fashion where it basically has a level knob and the sliders can't be accessed, or maybe taking it to a whole chubba and modding it to include the slightest amount of fuzz as well as elements of wah. It would work to just have it where the sliders can't be touched. Ideas?

John Lyons

Sorry, the link you want to use for the sound clips is the one in my signature below. ( I typed it wrong...)

You can either cut off the sliders from a comercial EQ unit or just make marks on the beside the slider so you know where the "good" setting is. You could also build a graphic eq with trim pots inside and just a master volume level on the outside. This way you can tweak the EQ and not have sliders on the outside of the case. GGG and Tone pad have EQ circuits...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/