Tonepad CE-2 build report

Started by MartyMart, November 29, 2006, 06:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

Just completed this , this morning after my chips arrived yesterday from smallbear.
FP did a great job on the board layout, which a friend etched for me.
Sounds superb, no issues with noise/hum/ticks AT ALL and it's not even boxed up yet !!
I can get everything from soft subtle shimmer, to wild 'n crazy wobble :D

SUBS:
R52 - 47r all i had
C5/10/14 47n as I had no 33n's
C9/C17 - 1uf poly caps
IC1-NE5532an / IC2-TL072cp
D1/2/7 1n4148

MODS:
Added the vibrato switch
Added the 250k blend pot ( linear, so bunched up but works fine to allow more clean gtr through)
Changed C22 (47pf) to a 68pf for more depth ( not switchable )
Changed R32, the 1M to the rate pot to a 470k for much faster top end rate

Thanks to Paul for the board, FP for a great layout, Mark for the mods and smallbear for the parts :D
.... oh and thanks to this place ( aron /peter ) for giving me all the knowledge to build this great stuff over the past three years  :icon_wink:

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

Seljer

I've got an order of parts coming which should arrive some time in the next week. Can't wait to build it :)

Mark Hammer

The only downside to the Corrral/CE-2 is the diminishing supply of MN3007 chips.  Other than that it is a refreshingly dependable, quiet, and satisfying project,  The possibility of add-ons that would have made the original CE-2 an industry benchmark increaszes the worthiness of this build.

Nice to put something together and it just instantly sounds as nice as you hoped it would, eh? :icon_biggrin:

MartyMart

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 29, 2006, 11:45:13 AM
The only downside to the Corrral/CE-2 is the diminishing supply of MN3007 chips.  Other than that it is a refreshingly dependable, quiet, and satisfying project,  The possibility of add-ons that would have made the original CE-2 an industry benchmark increaszes the worthiness of this build.

Nice to put something together and it just instantly sounds as nice as you hoped it would, eh? :icon_biggrin:

Oh yes, I NEVER get over that feeling when it just "works" and "I" built it :D :D
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

audioguy

I've got a dumb question... is there a diagram that illustrates how to wire the switches for the mods? I'm realy interested in this build. I built the Small Clone and like it, but I would love something more tweakable...
Thanks!

MartyMart

The tonepad project PDF shows all the switching and mods :D
www.tonepad.com

MM

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

You can also check the small clone (Heladito) pdf, it has some other mods, but you'll need to study the schematics in order to implement them.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

audioguy

I love the Heladito- I built it with the depth mod which is amazing... I have yet to play with the stereo mod becuase I have no idea where to begin with the switching. All in due time.

About the switches on the Ce-2 for the Vibrato Mod- are we just pulling up the end of R21 that goes to C5 and tacking on an SPST with the other terminal on the switch continuing on to where R21 used to go?
Thanks for the help guys!

MartyMart

Quote from: audioguy on November 29, 2006, 01:07:07 PM

About the switches on the Ce-2 for the Vibrato Mod- are we just pulling up the end of R21 that goes to C5 and tacking on an SPST with the other terminal on the switch continuing on to where R21 used to go?
Thanks for the help guys!

Yes :D

Cliff Schecht

I built the Corral and love the pedal, I find myself using it on a completely blank slate (i.e. my Fender Bassman) to add some nice texture to the sound. I have it boxed up along with the Robote 2.5 delay in one box (a Russian BMP box) and I used both of them quite extensively in my jam sessions Thanksgiving weekend. Thanks a million FP!

BTW, the "tremelo" mod does jack shit. It really just drops the volume and gives a very subtle warble effect. The depth mod works great though, I use the deeper setting when running a therimin through my pedalboard.

MartyMart

Quote from: Cliff Schecht on November 30, 2006, 01:55:04 AM
BTW, the "tremelo" mod does jack shit. It really just drops the volume and gives a very subtle warble effect. The depth mod works great though, I use the deeper setting when running a therimin through my pedalboard.

I found this Vib switch to be great, along with the "blend" pot I get a superb vibrato tone, nice and deep & "wobbly"
I'll post a clip later today of this .

MM

audioguy

MartyMart

Quote from: audioguy on November 30, 2006, 09:58:49 AM
Fantastic! I'll build it ASAP

Great, I can't recommend it highly enough ... superb :D

Seljer

with the "blend" pot you are talking about the pot connected to R21 on the tonepad layout, listed as "effect level mod" in the pdf file?

the soundclips you posted in the other thread you're getting my really anxious to build this (and to finally box up my Ross Compressor as well)

MartyMart

Quote from: Seljer on November 30, 2006, 10:30:10 AM
with the "blend" pot you are talking about the pot connected to R21 on the tonepad layout, listed as "effect level mod" in the pdf file?

the soundclips you posted in the other thread you're getting my really anxious to build this (and to finally box up my Ross Compressor as well)

Yeah, that's right - I see it as a "blend" of wet/dry  :D
The soundclip say's it all, they are not even "boxed up" yet .. quiet as mice !
Go for it :D

theman

I built this with the blend and deep switch mods, metal film resistors and poly caps (except smaller caps < 100pF where I used Cornell-Dubulier silver mica).  And it sounds great. I compared it to a small clone chorus build (from BYOC), and the CE-2 has more clarity, high-end, and more pristine. It really cuts through a mix. The SC chorus from BYOC uses a quad op-amp (LM324), and has a warmer sound. The CE-2 build I did had a TL072 in the initial and final buffer stages rather than a 4558, so I think that is why it sounds clearer. I bet a NE5532 here would make it sound even crisper, but at the sake of much more current draw.  The LFO IC I used was a lower power TL062. The TL022 is harder to get now. It's important to use a lower power IC here and keep the I/O or any wires away from this part, as a ticking sound can appear as crosstalk on sensitive wires.

Overall, I prefer the Tonepad CE-2 design. Great job Francisco!

Fp-www.Tonepad.com