Simple power supply is bugging me. Help!

Started by brett, December 03, 2006, 07:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brett

I've got an AC (240V) to AC (24V) wall-wart that I'm converting to a bipolar supply (+/- 12 to 16VDC)
The rectifier is one of those bridge KBL04 (??) types, followed by 2 x 2200uF caps.  (output here = 35V)
Then, to generate a "ground" or "earth", I have 2 x 1000uF caps in series between the rails. 
However, the junction of the caps is nowhere near mid-point of the rails.  It is 10V below the + and 25V above the -. 
When I use this supply for a little amp, and crank it, the rails both sag (to +6 and -19V).

So, should a supply like this normally balance itself just by the action of the caps between the rails?
:icon_idea: The "earth" is also connected to my signal generator (wall-wart powered) and scope (240V with true earth).

What am I missing?? (besides the brains to work this out)

Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Sir H C

The caps are an AC only path so any dc current can start to unbalance your arrangement.  You need some path to that center point.

To use a wall wart to create such a supply, the usual technique is to have one side be the ground, and then the other line in to go to + or - for the two rails.  This requires 2 diodes, but since you charge the caps at 1/2 the rate (50Hz in Europe IIRC), you will have to make them bigger.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Sir H.C. is right.
I'd just go half wave on each side.
You can still use the bridge, but half of it won't be connected.
All my +-15v rail boxes are run from half wave rectifiers, followed by regulators.
Your only problem will be that there is a lot of voltage being dropped across the regulators, which will limit the amount of current you can draw.

brett

Thanks
I'll try two 1N4004s straight out of the supply, then create a ground at the junction of 2 x 1k resistors tied from rail to rail.  Some smoothing and everthing should be sweet.
(I tried the DC flow thing with the 2 x 1ks  in the system above, but it didn't give much improvement.)
Regulators aren't needed for the power section, just +/-9V for the pre-amp and driver (a TL072).
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)