yet another Matchless Hot Box question- 10000uf cap?

Started by cb, December 04, 2006, 08:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb

Is that really a 10000uf cap on the bridge rectifier? Just checking, since I'm about to order a replacement.

dominatrix_volleyball

Paul Marossy

Are you looking at a schematic or the actual cap? If it's the actual cap, it's pretty obvious. A 1000uF cap seems more likely to me, though...

Dai H.

doesn't sound too wacky if it's for a DC filament supply. I built a Vacuum Tube Valley (magazine) preamp project once, and IIRC there were two 10,000uFs, plus two (maybe 3.3F?--an even larger value) caps for the DC filament supply (for only one tube).

fikri

Quote from: Dai H. on December 05, 2006, 08:11:09 AM
doesn't sound too wacky if it's for a DC filament supply. I built a Vacuum Tube Valley (magazine) preamp project once, and IIRC there were two 10,000uFs, plus two (maybe 3.3F?--an even larger value) caps for the DC filament supply (for only one tube).

:o Man ! that must be huge enough ! Do we need such a big value for just one tube ?  ;D
But nowadays caps body is becoming smaller and smaller each day with such a big value. What i remembered last week is, i try to find replacement filter cap for my Marshall superlead, But it seems like nothin' ever fitted into the caps holder! i ended up using JJ's cap  :D

Ronsonic

10,000 uF is not unreasonable there. They need the oversized cap to jack up the voltage if they're trying to use a 6.3VAC tranny to get 6.3VDC after rectification and filtering.

These are not crazy large at the 10volts or so you need.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

cb

Thanks for the replies. As usual, this group is always very helpful.

bancika

I used 2200uF before regulator and 1000uf after
Maybe it's a bit overkill, but couldn't hurt :)
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here