The original circuit in the "Dano-FAB overdrive: :D

Started by MartyMart, December 07, 2006, 04:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

I couldn't find a reference to this, but the recent "Total Guitar" mag states that the
little FAB overdrive is based on the "Nadine Overdrive" from the '70's as used by
Brian Setzer  !! could this be correct ?
If it's here then "kick me" but I couldn't find "Nadine" with a search, unless they
have the spelling worng !

Interesting, anyone know anything else about this ?

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

tcobretti

There was a previous thread and schem that showed that the Fab OD was a TS variant.

I have heard nothing about Nadine.

petemoore

The '3rd knob' [tone] on a TS can be a useful item for voicing the circuit.
  And as we see, can otherwise be made as fixed voicing.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

JHS

TS clone with a OD250-type gain control, asym. clipping (5 diodes) and a LM833 heart.

JHS

tommy.genes

So Nadine's was the "mom and pop store" that "commissioned" the original tube screamer circuit? (Quoting Danelectro's marketing, here.)

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

DiscoFreq

I don't think it's Nadine, I see Nadine's pedals mostly (almost only?) on Japanese sites. When Danelectro talks about a mom & pop store I think it will be a US brand name (it could still be MIJ).
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
22000 pedals, 4000 brands, 350 brand interviews

NAMM 2016: http://fxdb.org/namm

aron

It might be Nadine - the Danelectro site said it was a Japanese company.

George Giblet

>TS clone with a OD250-type gain control, asym. clipping (5 diodes) and a LM833 heart.

Yes.  IIRC some of the tone control values are different from TS.

That unit has a little too much low end for me and not enough sparkle.

jonathan perez

cool, i was just reading over that fab pedal thread...

im convinced, im buying the echo and throwing a 100k pot on there, getting the OD and chorus...probably the flange too...
for christmas, i mean.

this forum r00lz.  :)
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

aron

OK, I think I am confused, I meant the FAB OVERDRIVE which I think is a great overdrive!

tcobretti

Quote from: aron on December 08, 2006, 04:10:27 PM
OK, I think I am confused, I meant the FAB OVERDRIVE which I think is a great overdrive!

Me too.  The Danelectro Fab Overdrive that costs $15 right?

Doug_H

Quote from: George Giblet on December 08, 2006, 12:23:06 PM

That unit has a little too much low end for me and not enough sparkle.

I agree. It's lost its charm with me.

aron

My friend uses the Fab overdrive and it has improved his tone a lot!

With his humbucking pickups, it really sounds much better than any of the other overdrives he used to use.

jonathan perez

so does it cut, or add bass?

is it pretty close to any ts?

aron

The FAB overdrive doesn't sound like a TS to me. It has it's own tone - which I like. Don't know about the bass so it can't be cutting it much. I own the unit and like it, but I don't use it for myself.

jonathan perez

good! then ill buy one...dont need no more tubescreamers.

:D

George Giblet

> so does it cut, or add bass?

Despite the circuit similarities it doesn't sound like a TS to me either.

It cuts the bass but it does so less than a TS (and less than a FAT TS).

The tone has a warm sweetness but is also kind of muffled.  I can see why some people like it but, as is, the issues I mentioned before don't do it forme.  I have some mods which cuts the bass more and add some of the high back.  I didn't want to turn it into a TS and didn't want to lose the sweetness so the mods just edge away from the original (IMHO) flaws.

The Danelectro stuff I've tried are:

FAB Distortion D-1   I quited like it for a high gain distortion, the EQ sounds unexagerated and more nature to me than other similar units.
FAB OD  D-2           Comments above.
FAB Fanger    D-6   Sounded quite nice.  Sounded good on bass.  It hasn't got a manual control which prevents you from creating
                             bad sounds but that is also a limitation.  I didn't use the Regern too much.
Corned Beef Reverb  It has a warm sound but the reverb has got an echo characteristic, there is always a hint of it despite the
                              control settings.  That's caused by using a simplified reverb algorithm - the impulse has got repetitions as
                              opposed to a dense continuous decay.
                              I much preferred the Behringer unit.

JHS

Considering the price of 15$ it's a quite good sounding OD.
Due to the asym. clipping it won't sound like a TS and the LM833 produce a softer tone than a 4558D.
The low end is more pronounced and the treble is reduced, that's why it sounds a bit muffled.

JHS

Doug_H

There's no treble-leaking in the gain control, so when you turn it down it gets more dull. That's what I don't like about it.