The weirdest pedal bahavior ever

Started by DuoSonicboy, December 07, 2006, 06:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuoSonicboy

I have two effects that run off of those 1/8 inch adapters - one is a Big Muff, the other is a DOD delay.  I decided to consolidate a little by putting a courtesy outlet on the side of the big muff and use a small patch cable to power both effects from one adapter.  I wired everything up and it worked absolutely perfectly.  An hour later, I decided to jam a bit and found that my delay only gave me one really dirty repeat.  I took everything apart and checked it with a multi-meter - it was all perfect.  I started checking elsewhere for a cause and decided to recreate the circumstances under which it worked.  Oddly enough, here's what I found:  When my space heater is on, everything works perfectly.  If it is off, the delay quits.  If the big muff is on, both pedals work normally.  The delay works if it is plugged into the adapter directly.  I'm at a complete loss here - my space heater seems to make everything work!  The only thing I can think of is that there is about a .7v loss coming off the adapter with the heater on.  Maybe the full voltage overpowers the pedal?  Any ideas?

DuoSonicboy

Update:  Working on my hunch about too much voltage, I added a couple series diodes to the courtesy outlet to lower the output by about a volt.  Now everything works perfectly, regardless of whether or not the space heater is on!  This little rig is quite handy - I can even power 2 effects from the same battery!

squidsquad

I'd guess it's a bias issue ya got there.  Quirky FF may be gating at full voltage...opening at lower.
Or even them delays can be touchy about what they *see*.

DuoSonicboy

Yeah - The strange thing was that the power supply I'm using is NOS for the delay pedal and worked when plugged straight into the delay.  For some reason the pedal works when it gets 10.55v, stops working at 9.8v, and starts working again at 8.8v.  I used to use another adapter that put out 13.9v and powered the pedal normally.  The back of the box calls for an 11v power supply.  I don't know - It works fine now, so I'm not gonna argue with success. ???