Tantalum caps in a FF

Started by mac, December 08, 2006, 05:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

Does anybody used  tantalum caps in a FF?
I'm not a fan of electrolytic caps and I always use poly caps, but they are big.
As far as I read tant caps do no suffer from aging, freq response is better than electolytics ones, but they are more expensive.

Pros and cons?

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Gus

It is a taste issue.  Try it you might like the change be sure to intall them the right way.  Tants don't like reverse voltage and stink bad when they burn.

I often use a mix of cap types depending on the sound wanted.

zachomega

I can't recall where I read it, but I heard that tantalum caps are far worse than electrolytic caps for distortion. 

-Zach Omega

Gus

Seljer

Quote from: Gus on December 08, 2006, 05:46:59 PM
A ff is distortion.

what if you're goal is a very transparent sounding fuzz face  :icon_razz:?

bluesdevil

I've used tantalum caps in place of the 2.2 uf and 22uf electros for a couple of recent Fuzz Face builds without problems. As far as tonal differences, I couldn't honestly say.

"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

mac

I've used tantalum caps in place of the 2.2 uf and 22uf electros for a couple of recent Fuzz Face builds without problems. As far as tonal differences, I couldn't honestly say.

When I use polyester caps instead of electros the tonal change is big. Electros die on highs, a 0.1uf ceramic in parallel helps

I can't recall where I read it, but I heard that tantalum caps are far worse than electrolytic caps for distortion. 

I am not sure if I read about that tantalum caps are not a good choice between stages and bypass.
Replacing tantalum caps in the MXR+ and in the TS tone control is a common mod.

mac

markm

Quote from: zachomega on December 08, 2006, 05:35:45 PM

-Zach Omega

Mr. HUGE stuck a Tant cap in the Red Llama.
Not saying it's better or worse but, he didn't have to  :icon_smile:

Dai H.

I tried a bigger value tantalum for the 22uF on the Fuzz pot once some time ago. Thought it was interesting. Tighter sounding IIRC (usually a FF is kind of round and mushy sounding).

Ronsonic

I think of tants as another ingredient. They do feel a bit different in there. Anybody concerned about distortion from them is just being silly, there isn't a single stage we build in any pedal that doesn't distort more than these caps.

Rupert Neve seemed to think they didn't hurt the sound of his work, and we've got people warning against using them in a fuzz.  Uh yeah, right.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

markm

Tants are in the original Orange Squeezer as well as most of the Dan Armstrong effects not to mention the Ross and Dynacomp circuits.
I read somewhere, probably here (!!) that during the development of the O/S, Dan tried other caps but insisted that the Tants were and important part of the sound and feel of the O/S.
This could be internet B/S also so, take it as it is but, just food for thought. :)

petemoore

Oh yes,... and Why !/?
  Less common
  More expensive?
  Last longest IIRC
  Good enough for NASA, where Temperature performance standards are needed for other-worldly conditions.
  'reportedly May cause small traces of gritty distortion to form in 'unusual' places...
  50/50 chance of blowing up if you disregard polarity, films get a 100% chance of working when 'reversed.
  ...but in a FF?...J. Kiddin' of course...Why not?
  Mr. Huge decided to feed his Mammal one, and Dan decided his Electrodes could use 'em..lol !!!

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

Oh yes,... and Why !/?
  Less common
  More expensive?
  Last longest IIRC
  Good enough for NASA, where Temperature performance standards are needed for other-worldly conditions.
  'reportedly May cause small traces of gritty distortion to form in 'unusual' places...
  50/50 chance of blowing up if you disregard polarity, films get a 100% chance of working when 'reversed.
  ...but in a FF?...J. Kiddin' of course...Why not?
  Mr. Huge decided to feed his Mammal one, and Dan decided his Electrodes could use 'em..lol !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

analogmike

Tantalum are the least reliable type in pedals IMHO. I have fixed several wayhuge pedals with dead tantalums (green rhinos), and several of our compressors with the same problem. A decent electrolytic will sound fabulous in almost any circuit.

have fun!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

Gus

markm

Quote from: Gus on December 09, 2006, 01:27:54 PM
This thread is fun to read.
Agreed.
One says "NASA" uses 'em because of reliability, another says basicly they're crap.
My Grandfather used to say "Opinions are like A**holes.....everybody's got one!"  :icon_lol:

Doug_H

I've used them and they sound fine and are reliable. Theoretically they should last much longer than electros. I noticed an improvement in smoothness in one circuit I did with a tant in place of an electro for a bypass cap. They are much less tolerant to reverse polarity than electros, so be careful. Otherwise they are fine, just another ingredient as Ron said.

johngreene

Quote from: markm on December 09, 2006, 01:50:50 PM
My Grandfather used to say "Opinions are like A**holes.....everybody's got one!"  :icon_lol:
And they all stink!

--john
I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.

mac

My Grandfather used to say "Opinions are like A**holes.....everybody's got one!" 

And they all stink!

I wash mine in the bidet with soap and it smell like flowers  :icon_mrgreen:
God how I miss my bidet when I travel to usa and eu...

mac

mac

It seems that tants reputations is good enough for NASA but when it comes to distortion we are looking for another things.

I wonder where a tant cap "distort" less, between stages or bypassing? I also wonder how a tant cap can distort a signal. I think that the previous transistor makes more distortion than any cap. Maybe what some call "tant cap distortion" is only a freq bandpass? Just guessing here.

Analogmike, thanks for the tip.

mac