Superfuzz build

Started by greenacarina, December 11, 2006, 03:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenacarina

I just had to share the joy of my newly build Superfuzz! It seems a little "quiet" but I don't have a proper SPDT switch for it yet, so my alligator clip may be the culprit. This thing sounds killer! The octave effect is much less subtle that I would have expected but man-oh-man is thing thing going to provide a ton of fun for me!!!!
Thanks everyone! :)
Chris

MartyMart

That's a "killler" circuit ... glad you're enjoying it !

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

greenacarina

OK, the more I play with this thing the more I realize it should be louder. With the Level turned all the way up it still diminishes my volume with the effect on (guitar is louder with effect off). What should I start looking for?
Chris

rockgardenlove

Did you use a PCB?  Where can I find a layout?

I'm very interested in this circuit...what transistors did you use?

MartyMart

Quote from: greenacarina on December 12, 2006, 04:57:36 AM
OK, the more I play with this thing the more I realize it should be louder. With the Level turned all the way up it still diminishes my volume with the effect on (guitar is louder with effect off). What should I start looking for?
Chris

First check through the circuit ( it's a biggie ) for correct values and cap orientation
perhaps posting voltages on the transistors will help too.
Obvious stuff - pinouts - mistakes - solder blobs etc.
There is a 100k to ground at the output, you can play with this to get more volume
but i think you have a problem else where... this should be a loud circuit !

You are talking about the Univox Superfuzz .... right ??
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

greenacarina

Here is the layout that I used. There is one cap that should be reversed (which I reversed in my build) but otherwise everything should be the same. I will measure transistor voltages when I get home tonight. Can't wait to get this thing working 100% then paint my box!   :icon_biggrin:
Thanks guys!
Chris

rockgardenlove

greenacarina

Quote from: rockgardenlove on December 12, 2006, 02:16:06 PM
...Where?

Whoops! I guess that would have helped, huh?  :icon_redface:

http://members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/superfuzz1/sfbrdptmk.html

The cap in question goes from the 470 ohm resistor to the emitter of the tranny at the top/left of the layout.

Yun

one of my faveorite pedals out of my whole "arsenal" would be the super-fuzz that i built, man. 

A few mods:

-Volume control is 1 meg
-silicon diodes
-The notch filtre:  i put a 100K pot in there instead of a switch, so it acts as a scoop control.  Very useful and essential mod in this circuit, in my opinion anyways....

"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

greenacarina

Quote from: Yun on December 12, 2006, 07:02:34 PM
one of my faveorite pedals out of my whole "arsenal" would be the super-fuzz that i built, man. 

A few mods:

-Volume control is 1 meg
-silicon diodes
-The notch filtre:  i put a 100K pot in there instead of a switch, so it acts as a scoop control.  Very useful and essential mod in this circuit, in my opinion anyways....

Any particular silicon diodes?? (I used 1n4454's)
The 100k pot for scoop control...is it wired such that the "input" goes to the center lug and "output" to either side?

KerryF

You should specify.  Theres many Superfuzzes.  Theres a Univox, a Marshall.  I built the Marshall one which is basically a copy of a ToneBender MKII Pro, but they sound totally differnet.  The ToneBender was smoother and thinner but more classic.  The Marshall Superfuzz was a little harsher, but can get very smooth, much fatter, and has more gain.  I had built the ToneBender to sell, but I still have the Superfuzz.  Actually I was just playing around with the Superfuzz to get a good classic fuzz setting with a few pedals and found my fuzz tone.  I have also found my classic rock tone.  Tomarrow I will do some more experimenting to get some more of my favorite tones.

Meanderthal

They mean the univox superfuzz, a completely different animal. Could be called the evil fuzz...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

KerryF

Yea I figured from the schematic+site.  I think that one would be way to harsh for me.

greenacarina

Quote from: Meanderthal on December 12, 2006, 11:19:54 PM
They mean the univox superfuzz, a completely different animal. Could be called the evil fuzz...
Yup! And I think I'm in love!!! This thing is gonna be so badass when I'm finished!
Here are my tranny voltage readings (battery is about 8.5 volts)
I numbered the trannys in the layout...please ignore my previous notes in red.

(Number)/(Base)/(Emitter)/(Collector)

1- .625/.096/5.06
2- 5.06/4.48/7.69
3- 2.95/2.40/5.30
4- 1.34/.775/3.28
5- 1.34/.775/3.28
6- 4.26/3.56/3.56

greenacarina

Do my voltage readings look OK? I wish I knew more how to interpret them.  :icon_redface:
Great tone...low volume!
Thanks!
Chris

greenacarina

OK, I did some poking around with my audio probe and found the point where things get quiet in the circuit. Can someone tell me if this cap is backwards?? (the one in the big red square)

The sound is nice and loud on one side and gets quiet on the other. Maybe it's a dud??
Thanks.

Chris

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Without going thru the ckt, transistor 6 can't be right, must be short from emitter to collector???

greenacarina

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on December 14, 2006, 12:39:49 AM
Without going thru the ckt, transistor 6 can't be right, must be short from emitter to collector???

OK, I double-checked it's orientation and it's not installed wrong. With my meter on the diode setting I read 1.6v (pos to emitter, neg to collector) and 1.17v with the leads reversed.
This is measured with the effect off. Don't know if this is  useful but I didn't know how else to measure.
Thanks!
Chris

greenacarina

OH...and I reversed that cap to see if it would make a difference...nada. It's back the way it belongs.

Dan N

I think we usually post our voltages E/B/C. Here are the voltages (8.99 battery) I get compared to yours (B/E/C):
       Yours                     mine
1- .625/.096/5.06      0.71/0.14/5.74
2- 5.06/4.48/7.69      5.71/5.12/8.99
3- 2.95/2.40/5.30      3.42/2.86/6.40
4- 1.34/.775/3.28      2.08/1.47/1.76
5- 1.34/.775/3.28      2.06/1.47/1.76
6- 4.26/3.56/3.56      1.17/0.58/3.02

Your battery must be 7.69 as the collector Q2 is connected directly to it. Some little differences, big difference on Q6. Double check everything around that sucker. This fuzz should be plenty above unity.