Previous topic - Next topic

stompbox steve

I am in a spot of total disgust.  I have on my bench
1) green ringer - dead
2) ugly face - only self ossilates
3) old school fuzz - dead
4) tytewadd - dead
5) half completed Les Paul Custom Sustainiac install

not to mention that I split my finger open drilling a hole in a thin pc of metal for the ringer box.  was holding down the metal with my hand while drilling, it caught and spun around.   :o I know very stupid but I was just trying to get something completed.

anyway my question:  I noticed while populating the ringer board from Tonepad I heard a slight pop/crackle noise.
could that have been a cap/resistor burning out?  this would explain why multiple projects don't work.  might be holding the iron on too long.

I built the audio probe and tried snooping around but was not getting ANY noise out of it anywhere.
Also I used my volt meter to read some values but not sure what I am looking for.
I have the "what to do when it doesn't work" thread printed out and trying to follow step by step.

I guess I need alittle encouragement to get back into it.
Any thoughts on the "burnt" components?
Thanks, Steve
Funk it up,
Steve

MikeH

How long are you holding the iron on?  It shouldn't take more than 3 to 5 seconds of contact to get a good solder.  Most components, especially resistors and most capacitors can take much more than that.  Whenever I have a project that doesn't work my first reaction is always "I must have fried something when I was soldering" but that's never been the case for me once.  I'd suggest following the "DEBUGGING, when it doesn't work" thread at the top of the previous page and post your findings here.  Someone will help you find the problem.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Rafa

Quotecould that have been a cap/resistor burning out?  this would explain why multiple projects don't work.  might be holding the iron on too long.
I dont think so, Caps and resistors are very difficult to burn out. Maybe a transistor.
Measure the EBC transitors voltage and post them, so it will be much easier to see whats happening.
Cheers
Rafa

petemoore

not to mention that I split my finger open drilling a hole in a thin pc of metal for the ringer box.  was holding down the metal with my hand while drilling, it caught and spun around.    I know very stupid but I was just trying to get something completed.
 A block of wood over the floor, heavy boots on top of or clamping the sides of the pc. / or a vise or clamps or...lucky you didn't take that thing clean off.

anyway my question:  I noticed while populating the ringer board from Tonepad I heard a slight pop/crackle noise.
could that have been a cap/resistor burning out?  this would explain why multiple projects don't work.  might be holding the iron on too long.

Possible...I suppose I don't know how much heat actually went up the lead...but it'd have to be a copious amount...they'll take 'alot' of heat.
  Actives/anything with diodes are least tolerant of heat...I think then caps [but actives are much easier to overheat], and resistors...they are very resistant to heat damage.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

PenPen

Check the diodes too, I've killed those with too much heat also. Are you using a heat sink clip on all semiconductors when soldering?

markm

....looks like I'm having a fairly good day afterall.  :icon_razz:

rockgardenlove

Those days happen sometimes.  I had a pretty lousy pedal day yesterday.

stompbox steve

Ok - back from lunch
I looked at the Green Ringer: From Tonepad
http://www.tonepad.com/getFileInfo.asp?id=90
no substitutions, Battery = 9.32
Q1; 2N5008; c= 5.14, b=1.79, e=1.42
Q2; 2N3906; e= 0.04, b=4.99, c=0
Q3; 2N5088; c=8.87, b=3.88, e=3.54

I got the audio probe working and was poking around but I really don't know how to use it.  for example I found the signal on one side of the cap but then nothing on the other, so I thought it might be dead.  Switched it out and it was still the same.   when looking at the schematic, would there be no signal on all the ends going to ground?

Thanks, Steve
Funk it up,
Steve

JimRayden

Quote from: stompbox steve on December 11, 2006, 01:50:12 PM
when looking at the schematic, would there be no signal on all the ends going to ground?

Nope. Zero volts. zip. nada. zilch, null, nuthin'. Ground is ground is ground. Is Zero volts. ;)

----------
Jimbo

pi22seven

Dude, I know where you're coming from.

I started working on my English Channel about 4 months and it was DOA. I kept pulling it out about once a week and trying to figure out what was wrong. I must have checked everything about a hundred times and yet I couldn't figure out where the mistake was hiding.

Then last week I picked it up and traced through the schemo and re-double checked the components' values for the thousandth time. There it was, I had the wrong value on one of the caps. Put the right one in, biased the trannys and boom it fired up.

I guess what I'm getting at is don't give up. Troubleshooting is time consuming and a major PITA but the payoff is worth it. You get a new effect, but you also build your knowledge of how these things work.

stompbox steve

Yes, I feel I have picked up new skills just today.
Does the readings for Q2 seem right?
Q2; 2N3906; e= 0.04, b=4.99, c=0
Seems low......SP
Funk it up,
Steve

petemoore

Green Ringer's a 'tricky one..
  IIRC there's a pnp among two NPN's or vice versa, depending on.
  The Schematic _____________
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

stompbox steve

yes, there are 2 NPN (2n5088) and 1 PNP (2N3906)
Funk it up,
Steve

Barcode80

If it makes you feel better, I successfully completed 2 duds a couple of nights ago, which I have debugged a thousand times. I had the same problem with both, which was odd. I'm sure it was a connection problem because If i touched certain parts of the circuit it worked sort of, but otherwise dead silent. Still haven't figured them out, and I was so mad because it was the exact same symptoms that I assumed it was me and didn't even post quesitons...

JonFrum

I've got two wonky tube amp builds I've put aside to build a few pedals. Sometimes it's best to just retreat and live to fight another day.  :icon_redface:

brett

Hi
QuoteCheck the diodes too, I've killed those with too much heat also. Are you using a heat sink clip on all semiconductors when soldering?
I agree.  Virtually the only components I ever kill (besides the odd CMOS), are 1N4148s.  Don't know why.

About those voltages.
Q1 is a no-goer.  Like all working NPN transistors, the base should be about 0.6 V higher than the emitter.  In your case it''s only 0.37.  Check the resistors that bias the base, as well as everything/anything connnected to the emitter.

Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket just in case your luck balances out.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)