Tonebender Transistors

Started by mcasey1, December 11, 2006, 06:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcasey1

I have 3 germanium transistors at the follwowing gains:

65 hfe

67hfe

120hfe

What positions should these go into my tonebender in order to optimize tone? 

Q1=      hfe 
Q2=      hfe
Q3=      hfe

Also, one of my transistors, a hitachi 2SB77, has no emitter tab.  There is, however, a small arrow pointing at one of the legs. Would this be a marking for the emitter leg?

Thanks

aron

Since they are germanium, I would use transistor sockets which would allow you experiment with placement.

markm

This may be in the FAQ I'm not sure but, anywho.....
I would say the arrow marks the emitter.

petemoore

TB"s Q's 2 and 3 circuit = Fuzz Face
  See GEO technology of the Fuzz Face for transistor pickin' info.
  But of those three, I'd put the higher Hfe in Q3 position, the leakiest one in Q1.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

zyxwyvu

Quote from: mcasey1 on December 11, 2006, 06:04:22 PM
I have 3 germanium transistors at the follwowing gains:

65 hfe

67hfe

120hfe

What positions should these go into my tonebender in order to optimize tone? 

According to http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/mkII.php, Q1 and Q2 should be around 70, and Q3 should be around 100, so the order you listed them should work best. I also recommend using sockets so you can try them out in different configurations easily.

KerryF

For the ToneBender, Q1 and Q2 should be HFE from 60-100, and Q3 should be from HFE 100-140.  Enjoy it.  I built one for someone.  Its a nice fuzz.

mcasey1

I hope it is a nice fuzz.  Im not one to go by whether TONS of people like a circuit.  (tube screamer.....egh).  However, I have done some research and listened to soundclips of examples.  I am wanting a fuzz to be a FUZZ, not a high gain distortion.  This particular circuit appears to possess the basic characteristics of sound I am pursuing.  If I HAD to cite an example of the ballpark sound I am going for it would be Edwyn Collins on "Never Met A Girl Like You Before".  I will let you all know how it goes, if you are interested  (whats one more build report?)

Thanks to all, Matt. 

Dragonfly

Quote from: mcasey1 on December 12, 2006, 01:43:33 AM
If I HAD to cite an example of the ballpark sound I am going for it would be Edwyn Collins on "Never Met A Girl Like You Before".

You mean like THIS ?

:D

AC

mcasey1

zachomega

haha...I still love that sound clip.  :)

-Zach Omega

Quote from: Dragonfly on December 12, 2006, 01:54:03 AM
Quote from: mcasey1 on December 12, 2006, 01:43:33 AM
If I HAD to cite an example of the ballpark sound I am going for it would be Edwyn Collins on "Never Met A Girl Like You Before".

You mean like THIS ?

:D

AC

waldo041

the mkII tonebender's should be biased like a fuzz face, however if you are building a 3knob tonebender, then Q3 is the only one that needs to be germanium and shouldn't need to be biased. either one should work in the order you have given for the transistors, but there is a difference between the 2 circuits.

peace,
waldo