Revised Tonepad FSH-1

Started by soggybag, December 12, 2006, 01:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soggybag

Has anyone built the revised Tonepad FSH-1? What exactly has changed on this? I'm thinking I might give this new version a try. I built the last one and it worked well but was ticking from the LFO. I'm wondering if I could modify the old one or should would it be easier to build the new version?

Pushtone

Hi Soggybag, nice to see you around.

I didn't know there was a revision.

I read through the TP build reports and what I could find here and was left with the impression
the ticking noise issue had not been the subject of a revision.

I went and Etched the GGG version, but I would prefer the TP. It's so much smaller a layout.

It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

soggybag

Thanks, my wife has a baby so I have been off the DIY wagon for the last year or so.

The Tonepad layout is a great idea. Using the 13600 and the 1044 was a very smart move. It looks like this one would fit in a BB box without too much trouble.

Ry

Good to see you around, Soggy.  It's funny that you mention putting this in a BB sized box.  I'm just about to house my Tonepad FSH this week.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Morocotopo

Soggybag, I just etched the board for the FSH rev.1. Now I have to drill holes, get the parts, populate, and test! Report as soon as done, probably in a couple of weeks.

morocotopo
Morocotopo

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

The current revision (1) has a different ground scheme and other layout improvements that should take care of or at least minimize the noise issue that the old original revision (0) had.

I'm looking forward to hearing your results moroco.

Soggybag, if you build the new revision you may be able to compare both, unless you're planning on taking the old one apart. It would be nice to know how much the layout changes affected the performance of the circuit.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

soggybag

I may give the new one a go if I can find the time. It would be good to compare them. I'll be sure to post a review.

PaulCurtis

I built the general guitar gadgets one. I found the ticking to be coming over the power input lines to the board. I twisted the power lines together and the problem dissapeared audibly. I could still see it on the scope. I was going to put some smaller caps in parallel with the big power filter caps to get rid of it but I never got around to doing that.

Paul

Morocotopo

Gathering info (and parts) for this build. Francisco, is there a way to add a mix control to this, as you have done with the CE-2 chorus project for example? I don´t know /can´t tell if this circuit uses mixing resistors that could be easily replaced with a pot...

Thanks

Morocotopo
Morocotopo

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Moroco, you  could add some circuitry to mix the original signal back at the output, but I can't see a reason for it. It's just not the same principle of adding/subtracting some signal to the dry that happens in phasers or choruses. But, that's just my opinion.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

moosapotamus

I added a wet/dry mix control to mine by just replacing the bypass switch at the output with a 500Kb pot. Kinda quick & dirty, but seems to work OK.
http://moosapotamus.net/THINGS/fsh-1a.htm

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

oldrocker

I have all the parts for this build so now I need to etch a PCB.  Bought some PnP but still need to get a laser print out of the trace layout so I can iron it to the copper.  This seems to be the hardest part for me.  The library close to my house won't run a PnP taped to a tonepad layout sheet.  She's afraid it'll screw up the copier.  So I have another library to try unless I can get Kinko's to do it although I heard they didn't work out for some.  Tonepad hasn't restocked the FSH board yet so I'll have to try and etch my own.  Wish I had my own laser printer.

Morocotopo

Francisco, I like to be able to control the FX mix in my builds, except for the obvious effects (dist, EQ, etc.) where it doesn´t make sense. Specially in modulation FX´s. I like subtlety, I HATE a too obvious/present LFO in the sound. For example, the CE-2 I built from your project would be half as useful to me without the FX mix mod. So, in the FSH-1, I´m thinking of being able to get different amounts ("shades") of filtering and sample and hold. But, as you said, maybe in this Fx it doesn´t make sense. 
By the way, One thing I think the project should include is the input jack power switching circuit found at geofex for the +9/-9 V charge pump. It´s just a transistor and 2 Resistors, and I think it would make the project easier to box up and make into a working, practical pedal. But that´s easy enough to add.
But I digress, first I have to build it, and get it to work!

Thanks

morocotopo
Morocotopo

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Morocotopo

OK, finished building this.
First problem: no sound, just hiss, and ticking. S/H speed pot works (changes the speed of the ticking, so the LFO works)
BUT: in the new layout, the .15 uF cap and 100K R just above the GND and IN points are reversed with respect to the older layout!!
Hmmmm. I se a long debugging coming my way...
More news later.

Morocotopo
Morocotopo

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Moroco, make sure those cap/resistor are in the right location, check that you have the very latest pdf.

Fp

Morocotopo

Francisco, I downloaded the pdf some time ago, and it says "Rev. 1 Nov 19 2006" I downloaded it again now and it says the same thing, but in the first one those parts are reversed!!!!
Weird....
I´m tired, will continue debugging tomorrow.
Thanks for your assistance as always

Morocotopo
Morocotopo

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

You're right, there was one up for a few minutes that had that error (somebody in the forum spotted it and informed me). Sorry about that.

Morocotopo

Update: It works! I had a bad LM13600... (or, more likely, I fried it  ::)) changed that and it worked inmediately.
Mini report: all controls work as they should, S/H, up/down switches also. Ticking, more obvious in some settings, don´t remember wich ones. Of course, right now the thing is a mess of wires and alligator clips all over the place, no shielded cable or anything, so, no conclusive data about that.
Noise Q testing, FET testing, ticking solving, etc. to follow. A more detailed report later.
By the way: what is it exactly that the trimmers control? I have no clue...

Morocotopo
Morocotopo

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

cool. I'm looking forward to hearing about your final results.