How does the ROG Eighteen sound with single coils?

Started by powerplayj, December 12, 2006, 06:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerplayj

I know it's forte is AC/DC tones with humbuckers but what can I expect with a Strat neck pickup?  Does it have enough presence/sparkle for singles or is it somewhat dark? 
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

MartyMart

I think it sounds pretty decent with a strat, I have "vintage Lollars" on mine, not
very "hot" so not as full gain as big HB pups, good bright noise though :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

aloupos

I just built this, and am using it with lipstick pickups.  I changed the gain pot to 1M / left the volume there's plenty of it. 

There's not tons of gain, but enough for a good articulate crunch.  I put a pre before it, and it delivers some pretty nice sustain / gain.  simple build, worth the time. 

powerplayj

Actually, gain is not what I would be after.  Just curious if it had enough presence for Hendix type tones. 
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

MartyMart

Quote from: MartyMart on December 12, 2006, 08:34:02 PM
so not as full gain as big HB pups, good bright noise though :D

MM.

I said that allready  :icon_mrgreen:

????
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

grolschie

It sounds real nice with strats. My strat has 80's USA Fender pups in neck and middle, and a Rio Grande "Stelly" (hot tele pup) in the bridge. Sounds great.  The pedal seems neither dark nor bright. Balanced. The tone knob doesn't change things massively either - in comparison to some pedals.

Quote from: aloupos on December 12, 2006, 09:27:03 PM

I changed the gain pot to 1M / left the volume there's plenty of it. 

What affect does changing the gain pot to a 1M do? More or less gain? Any more gain than say 3/4 on stock 500k knob is getting flabby on the bass for me.

JimRayden

Quote from: grolschie on December 13, 2006, 04:06:03 AM
What affect does changing the gain pot to a 1M do? More or less gain?

Higher resistance to ground after the coupling cap. More high end gain, I presume.

-----------
Jimbo

aloupos

grolschie

Quote from: aloupos on December 13, 2006, 09:14:15 AM

Yep.  More gain. 

Just more gain, or is it more high end gain. Mine farts out already on full gain.

JimRayden

Try lowering the first coupling cap, it should knock off some of the lows before distorting.

Unappropriate guitar and amp might also cause this behaviour.

---------
Jimbo

grolschie

Quote from: JimRayden on December 13, 2006, 04:41:00 PM
Try lowering the first coupling cap, it should knock off some of the lows before distorting.

Do you mean the "47"? What value would you recommend?

JimRayden

Hmm, I guess lowering the 10n (right before the second cap) would be wiser, so you wouldn't mess with the tone stack. Try 4n7 or 3n3.

----------
Jimbo

grolschie

Quote from: JimRayden on December 13, 2006, 05:24:35 PM
Hmm, I guess lowering the 10n (right before the second cap) would be wiser, so you wouldn't mess with the tone stack. Try 4n7 or 3n3.

----------
Jimbo

Do you mean the 10n by the tone pot? Or the 10n after the optional treble bleed?

JimRayden

A little typo. Right before second tranny, not cap. After the treble bleed.

Sorry for the confusion.

----------
Jimbo

grolschie

Quote from: JimRayden on December 13, 2006, 06:03:21 PM
A little typo. Right before second tranny, not cap. After the treble bleed.

Sorry for the confusion.

----------
Jimbo

Thanks. Do you think it's worth making that switchable?

JimRayden

If a lower cap reaches the sound you're after, why switch back to muddy? ;)

First try changing the cap. Then if you think the previous cap worked better with any other amps/guitars you have, make it switchable (or find a happy medium between the two caps).

The key thing in DIY is making pedals work for you. No big company can dictate what sounds good. You just mod it until you're happy with it.

---------
Jimbo