Australian Decal media supplier? (waterslide, laser)

Started by darron, December 13, 2006, 05:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

Simply put, where in Australia can i find some decal medium to print on with a colour laser printer? I've tired Office Works and have called a lot of craft shops but nobody seems to have it. I even contacted a client who runs a hobby modeling business and he can't get me blanks.

I appreciate your responses! (:
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

brett

Hi
I was using stuff from an office shop, then the stuff from Small Bear, but in the end I found that the local copy shop would make me a colour decal for less than the price per sheet of paper in a 10 pack.  I guess they buy larger packs and at wholesale prices.  For a while, that was $10, but lately they've been charging $15. (per A4 page if I've printed a colour original).
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

darron

i thought it would be cheaper because t-shirt transfers are like $15 for 3 pages. i guess waterslide decals are totally different. maybe i should try calling some local print places also. thanks! (:

Auke Haarsma

darron

Quote from: ponq on December 13, 2006, 05:59:10 AM
While not located down-under, this could be an option for you. I got my decal paper from this guy and it was safely shipped for a reasonable price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300057780706&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=300024293501&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

This is just an example item, check his store!

hey pong. i'm actually in a hurry to get it and i would like to buy lots more in the future. i could order the stuff that smallbear has but i'd rather find something local if i can. if i have no luck by tomorrow i might order from the states. it was good to at least see waht i might expect for the cover. is this the same stuff smallbear sells? i could get some switches while im getting stuff sent internationally anyway :D

Auke Haarsma

well delivery was about 2 weeks, so not really fast.. And afaik it was shipped from the UK to, in my case, the Netherlands. I don't know if it's the same as SmallBear has.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

This came top of the google search for me:
http://www.naturalcandlesupply.com.au/browse.php?cid=30

How I searched: go to advance search, put .au in domain.
Then search for      decal laser price

probably plenty more there!

darron

that's actually quite useful. i can't believe i didn't try that! i've been using www.google.com.au with the search australian results only enabled and haven't found anything useful, but if i use www.google.com like you said and search with the command site:.au it works much better!

at least no i can get some from another state, but i should be able to find some in melbourne.

thanks heaps (:

toneman

Try any model railroad place.   8)
A good mailorder company is Micro-Mark.   :icon_smile:
Hope U have an equiv over down under   :)
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

darron

Quote from: toneman on December 13, 2006, 09:25:55 AM
Try any model railroad place.   8)
A good mailorder company is Micro-Mark.   :icon_smile:
Hope U have an equiv over down under   :)

i've never heard of a place dedicated to model trains... i guess you have to be in the field to know them. i'll look up some more modeling places now. i was hoping that someone would just know a place, but maybe nobody in australia is doing this?

thanks for your help guys!

electrobuster

There is a remote control car/model shop on Lonsdale street opposite Myer that sells individual sheets for $6.
I found it when I needed some for a custom bass headstock. Look'em up and call to see if they still have some.
Good luck

darron

Quote from: electrobuster on December 13, 2006, 06:58:42 PM
There is a remote control car/model shop on Lonsdale street opposite Myer that sells individual sheets for $6.
I found it when I needed some for a custom bass headstock. Look'em up and call to see if they still have some.
Good luck

i just tried them. the guy said "no nothing like that, good bye" and hung up. maybe they do but the rude person who answered didn't know anything about it. i've called some hobby modeling places and found a place who says he has waterslide decals that will work with a laser printer... it was a crappy little hobby shop right near my home too! he said the packet comes with three clear and three white. i don't suppose that i need the white ones, but i guess i'll head down tomorrow and buy that?

(:

toneman

Just a note--
Those "white ones" can be used for getting white lettering with black(or dark) backgrounds.
Print your design with all the lettering clear.
Then the white will show up when U slide off the decal.
Look up black t-shirt transfer paper.  Similar idea to get white lettering to reproduce without any "white" ink.
Model railroad hobiests and model car hobiests make homemade water slide decals all the time.
For simple black & white decals, all U need is a laser printer.
For color decals, most folks use inkjets cause they're cheaper than a color laser.
But the paper is Different!!!   Best bet is to buy inkjet decal paper, as it WILL work with laser also.
Laser decal paper will NOT work with inkjet!!!
Good luck on your quest.
8)

• SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

darron

Quote from: toneman on December 13, 2006, 10:19:38 PM
Just a note--
Those "white ones" can be used for getting white lettering with black(or dark) backgrounds.
Print your design with all the lettering clear.
Then the white will show up when U slide off the decal.
Look up black t-shirt transfer paper.  Similar idea to get white lettering to reproduce without any "white" ink.
Model railroad hobiests and model car hobiests make homemade water slide decals all the time.
For simple black & white decals, all U need is a laser printer.
For color decals, most folks use inkjets cause they're cheaper than a color laser.
But the paper is Different!!!   Best bet is to buy inkjet decal paper, as it WILL work with laser also.
Laser decal paper will NOT work with inkjet!!!
Good luck on your quest.
8)

hey toneman. i didn't think of attempting to get white lettering out of white transfers! I'll buy the packet tomorrow, hopefully get some stuff sprayed up and post some pics ASAP! i've got a colour laserjet and no inkjets. it actually works out HEAPS cheaper to print with toner. it last a lot longer too so there's less hassle. ink gets so messy sometimes.

as i said. i'll get right on it! :D

thanks for the suggestions guys!