small bear germanium transistors

Started by coreybox, December 13, 2006, 02:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coreybox

I have an old dunlop fuzz face that I'm wanting to mod.  Not sure where to get some good germanium transistors without sending it somewhere to have someone else mod (which i really don't want to do).

Are the ones at smallbear any good?  Anyone have experience with them?  Any different recommendations where i can get some transistors that i know will work?

thanks
corey

Sir H C

What are the markings on the transistors in your pedal?  That will help decide which would be best suited for your needs with least modification.  Small Bear transistors are quite good from all I have read.

guitar_199

Smallbear's transistors are great from what I have played!!!

coreybox

They are dunlops reproductions of the nkt-275.  From what i read they are pretty bad....

rockgardenlove

guitar_199

MikeH

I used a pair to make a FF a while back.  They sound just as good, if not better, than the trannies in your typical vintage Dallas Arbiter FF.  And they also give you the biasing resistanceses too.  Which is handy.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

BlueToad

I have a fuzz face and a rangemaster I built from Steve's Ge xstrs, and they both sound great. You won't find many people on this forum saying bad things about Steve Daniels...
If it isn't broken, take it apart and fix it!

coreybox

thanks guys, just wanted to make sure before i ordered some.  Sound like they'll be great!

KerryF

I tried two sets of the ToneBender MKII Pro packs of germanium transistors (One for a ToneBender, and one for a Marshall SuperFuzz) and both sets worked great!

petemoore

I tried two sets of the ToneBender MKII Pro packs of germanium transistors
  Good choice.
  All these transistors are good and can be pressed into service, those Ge circuits respond differently to gain structure, depending on the Hfe/leakage of the transistors used to build it.
  I took notes on all the transistors and code marked them accordingly I, II, III  for the TB sets, different color markers for each set and FF set...this helps me keep track of them when swapping them all over FF and TBMKII and RM type boards.
  after all that, 1 set'll pretty much do ya up, but a handful of swaps you may find useful for tweeking...
  BTW check out the BYOSB Store here...!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MetalGod

all the transistors I've recieved from Small Bear have been exactly as described - the marked gain was very close and the leakage very, very low.

I would not hesitate to recommend Steve Daniels to anyone.

8)