Messing around with octaves

Started by MikeH, December 15, 2006, 06:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeH

Has anyone tried putting mutiple octave generating citcuits back to back?  Like 2 Neoctavias, so that when you turn the first on you get a 1 octave up sound, and then when you kick on the second you get a 2 octave up sound?  Or throwing a clean octive up in front of or behind an MXR blue box?  Would that work?
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

aron

Wow, 2 mis-tracking units back to back. hehehehe Well, if you want clean 2 octave up, use a digital unit or HOG. Otherwise, I doubt it would be clean. Might be interesting though!

jonathan perez

check out Foxrox's Octron... (octave up and down simultaneously)

check out ZVEX's jonny octave...(octave up, and 2 octaves up)
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

JimRayden

I was just starting to wonder about the result of cascading an octave up and down...

---------
Jimbo

Processaurus

I tried a green ringer into a scrambler.  It didn't sound like 2 octaves up, but it did sound suitably gnarly.  But that plus an out of phase pickup selection got pretty high and squeaky.  A good experiment would be try low pass filtering between the octavias, like use 2 graphic EQs and two octavia type effects, and go EQ (set as a lowpass filter)-->Octavia--->EQ (more lowpass, maybe set with a higher rolloff because its now an octave higher)---> Octavia.

I bet a pair of the squaring octave designs (like RG's JFET doubler and MOS doubler I could never get to work, or a ring mod with octave like the ringer stinger) preceded by some lowpass filtering would be better at the 2 octave up game.

petemoore

Mangles the tone beyond...tone. At least the times I've tried it...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Since the output of a Blue Box type octaver is a square wave divided down from the original input, whatever follows it - even if it is another Blue Box - should track as well as the sblue Box managed (anythng can track a square).
But with on octave doubler, the technology is different, and 'tracking' doesn't come into it.
I can't say whether the result of octave stacking devices will be musically useful - that's up to the artist! - but I personally feel that adding more harmonics probably isn't all that useful, unless you sneak a flanger  or delay into the chain. Otherwise you might as well just severely distort the signal to start with, then use a filter to accentuate the upper harmonics.

sfr

I've tried playing with a Boss PS-5 and an Octavia or Scrambler - some funky sounds there, with the combination of clean octave shifting and "dirty" octave shifting, particularly when the end result is back in the original frequency range, yet no longer sounds like a guitar.
sent from my orbital space station.

Ronsonic

Heck, just try a wah into an octaver or overdrive-wah-octave.

Plenty sick.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

jonathan perez

Quote from: sfr on December 16, 2006, 10:06:17 PM
I've tried playing with a Boss PS-5 and an Octavia or Scrambler - some funky sounds there, with the combination of clean octave shifting and "dirty" octave shifting, particularly when the end result is back in the original frequency range, yet no longer sounds like a guitar.

gotta try that.......
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

MartyMart

Here's a good one for a Fat "MiniMoog" solo sound :

Boss OC3 with two octaves ->Univox Superfuzz -> Chorus -> Long Delay
( I tried this also with three octaves from a Pearl OC07)
Huge sound, chorus and delay help it to "swirl" around and sound more
like "detuned" synth Oscillators ...... V COOL  :D :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

doug deeper

one of my favorite sounds is running a compressor into a arion octave (set to a blend of dry and octave down) into a green ringer.
with single notes it sounds like an orchestra!

MikeH

Can anyone reccomend a decent clean Octave-down DIY project?
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH