classic30/mastervol.on clean channel/how difficult ? OT

Started by donald stringer, September 14, 2003, 10:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donald stringer

I would like to install a master vol. on the clean channel to get more tonal varieties and still have a usable vol. There is less noise on the clean side and I want to explore the inbetween tonal variations. I am going for a fatter clean sound w/ some O. D. breakup at the top. Any ideas?peavey classic 30
troublerat

Bluesgeetar

Since I live here in Seattle I've talked to the owner of THD a wayz back cause I was looking for a amp that would sound like a small Supro combo without the large price tag they bring.  Well that got him started on newer amps that can be modded to sound almsot as good as the old ones.  He went on and on about his fav combo to mod was the Peavey classic 20 and classic 30.  So you might want to email him for suggestions.  His web page is on Harmony-Central somewhere with amp makers and stuff.

Mike Nichting

OK, you can do a master volume before phase inverter or a master volume after phase inverter. I will describe both.
1) Before phase inverter: Install a 1 Meg pot on the rear of the amp. Lift the wrie from the wiper arm of the treble control of the clean side and connect it to the outer lug of the 1 meg pot.ground the other outer lug of the new 1 Meg pot then connect the wiper arm of the 1 Mreg pot to the treble control wiper that you just removed.

The after phase inverter is a lot more complicated so try this one and see how it works for you.

Good luck,
Mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

The Tone God

Basiclly it can be done but how easy depends on your amp. There are several different ways to do master volume depending on what you have and what you want to get out of it.

Its hard to give you ideas or instructions without more info. It would be nice to know say what amp and year are you talking about.

If you want to do this yourself take into account how much experience you have. Tube amps can be nasty if you don't know what your doing.

Andrew