anyone else like the Axis Fuzz (not Face)?

Started by powerplayj, December 16, 2006, 06:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerplayj

...built this thing for the Strat tones heard on Jimi's Axis album but this thing kills with a low output humbucker (mine are 7.8k, 8.7k).  It's thicker than I imagined and sounds fantastic when running my Blue Boy Deluxe behind it.  It almost sounds like a Ge fuzz with the buckers.   Also, it is real sensitive to tranny substitutions which makes it ideal for the tweakers. 

PS:  The Strat tones ain't bad either!

Anyone else like this build?  I don't see too much hype for the most part.
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

tcobretti

There have been a few threads about it.  People generally either love it or hate it.  I love it.  Of all the fuzzes I've built, I like it as much as any of them.  I've been thinking about breadboarding it again so I can experiment with the circuit a little.  My belief about the Axis is that if you play a bright sounding rig (basically NOT a Vox or older Marshall), then it tends to be little abrasive.  I think this is why many don't like it.

Doug_H

I built one and I like it. I agree, it likes darker amps and its more fun if the amp has a little breakup going on too.

Fun fuzz... :icon_wink:

aron

Something must have been wrong with mine. I didn't like it at all.

mcasey1

HATED IT!!!   (In Living Colour reference there...) :)

tcobretti

It actually sounds very much like a more refined FF thru my rig.  I put it and a FF in the same box, and when I switch back and forth they are very similar.  I can certainly hear the difference, but I doubt a listener could.  I remember reading that Jimi preferred the FF to other fuzzes of the time because it was "heavier".  To me, the Axis is very heavy and is almost a distortion. 

Picking a favorite fuzz is like picking a favorite song - almost impossible.  However, the Axis is certainly a candidate for my favorite.

JimRayden

Here's what my AFOB* sounds like. (scroll to 3:30)

http://www.playoutband.com/noorteband/Heather-Ly.mp3

The Axis works perfect for me! Sure is fun to do those slides on the 6th string. ;)

What could be more of interest to you, the choruses are played through a BSIAB2 (first at 0:33).

-------------
Jimbo

*Axis Fuzz On Breadboard

PS: Please critisize my mixing, send me a PM. ;D

brianwenz

Hello Hello--
      Hendrix switched over to the Axis  [Axis Bold As Love, Band Of Gypsys, Isle of Wight.....]
due to the fact it sounded MUCH better with his humbucker-equipted guitars [SG, Flying V].   It's great with the Strat, too!
Brian.

Pedal love

analog kid

IIRC I liked it a good bit but MAY have loved it now that I hear these observations AS I DIDn'T even own a decent Bucker Equipped instr. at the time  : O !!! I AM a strat man at heart ( and hand)
I started tweaking about with the in/out caps,etc.. and seemingly just lost the sweet spot and went on to bigger and.... Well...BIGGER things!
I cannibalized the little bugger and into the unused crkt graveyard it went! I definitely never could get a nice sounding fuzz out the the Axis Fuzz FACE though (silicon)  no disrepect to Phillip's work by no means. Just mentioned it as it likely gets confused with the original AXIS alot in the DIY arena
Later
See the man with the stage fright, just standing up there to give it all his might..