|HOME| |DIY FAQ| |GEO FAQ| |Debugging Page| |Links| |Schematics| |Wiki| |Layouts Gallery| |STORE|
|AMPAGE| |GEOFEX| |AMZ|

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 01:35:29 PM
961629 Posts in 102780 Topics by 32440 Members
Latest Member: Sorin
Home Help Login Register
DIYstompboxes.com  |  DIY Stompboxes  |  Building your own stompbox  |  Linear Power Boost 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Linear Power Boost  (Read 351 times)
YouAre

Linear Power Boost
« on: December 18, 2006, 02:02:20 AM »

Can anyone give me the lowdown on the old/new linear powerboost? BYOC has a kit which includes the LPB, and I figure'd I'd by a PCB and build all three boosts on it instead of just the amz mosfet boost like i had planned.

Pros/cons?

Sound description?

Thanks,
Murad
d95err

Re: Linear Power Boost
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 02:23:50 AM »

LPB - a little distortion, but fairly clean
Rangemaster - more like a low-gain overdrive if you have hot pickups. Lots of Germanium mojo...
MOSFET - very transparent, too transparent sometimes.

All three boosters work well for pushing a tube amp into more distortion. For "solo" boost, the MOSFET boost is probably the best choice.

If you are using a solid state amp, the Rangemaster is completely useless.
YouAre

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 02:31:39 AM »

the pickups i'm using are tone anderson h3+/h1- in my les paul (really hot), and GFS mean 90's in my epi hollowbody. those are goin into a fender prosonic.

thanks for your post. I think it'd be a good build. would you say the the LPB could be like a cross between the tone coloring of the rangemaster, and the transparency of the mosfet?

Would any of these sound good boosting a BSIAB II?
d95err

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 03:41:58 AM »

In general boosters work well for boosting overdrives or distortions. It's when you try to boost a clean solid state amp that it usually sounds bad.

The BSIAB is essentially one booster boosting another, but I guess adding yet another booster infront couldn't hurt...   Wink
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: