Heatsink for T039 package transistor

Started by sfr, December 20, 2006, 02:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

I have a 2N3053 transistor in a project that seems like it will need a heatsink.  (This was mentioned in the desciption file for the project I made using it, and somehow I forgot to order one.  Sure enough, the transistor does get somewhat warm - not uncomfortably hot, but I'd like to play it safe.) 

I'm wondering, in the meantime, if I couldn't cut a heavy strip of aluminum, bolt it to a clear part of the board, and bend it so it rests against the top of the transistor with a little heatsink paste between.  Would that work as a makeshift heatsink, if I had a large enough area?
sent from my orbital space station.

rockgardenlove

Mark F

slacker

That should work. Just remember that the case of the transistor is probably connected to the collector so it will have voltage on it, so make sure the heatsink doesn't short out on anything.

R.G.

I always hated the TO-39 package with a heatsink. It's a pain. There are top hat heat sinks that press-fit on top of the metal top - check Mouser.

I would always look for a device with similar specs in a TO-126 or TO-220 package. The MJE182 looks like it's a good one. If you're not doing RF with this, you could probably use a BD139. The 3053 was used in some RF stuff and substitution gets dicey with the high frequencies.

The 3053 has Vceo = 80V, Ic = 0.7A, hfe=25-250, and ft=100MHz. Anything with similar or larger specs should work at audio.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.