delyk Effects Inventory - software to manage inventory and help order

Started by daleykd, May 14, 2015, 12:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daleykd

I've been working on a little bit of software over the past couple of months.  It started as a project for me, grew to include some folks on one of my Facebook forums, and now I'm curious to know how it'll be received here.

It's nothing fancy.  It's just a GUI on top of a database to assist with keeping track of your components (ten categories right now: resistors, caps, diodes, pots, trans, ICs, jacks, enclosures, switches, misc).  It then allows you to compile projects (e.g. - a Dr. Boogie or BSIAB2), which assists with BOMs.  You then can configure a Build Queue, which is a bunch of projects you are planning on building.  The final piece is helping with component ordering.

This last piece is where I find the most value.  I used to spend hours trying to figure out what I needed to order from Tayda, Mouser, eBay, smallbear, and mklec.  Now, if I have my projects configured correctly, with the push of a button, I get a list of items I need.

It's definitely still a work in progress.  It is only for Windows XP or higher.  I'm a C# developer by day, and honestly have no desire to redo this in Java.  I do know that it works on Mac/Linux if you run Windows in a VM.  It does NOT work with Wine.

Is this something anyone might be interested in?  I admit, I'm scared to open it up to the public (I fear scrutiny. :) )

Current version is 0.4.3.0: http://bit.ly/1AUz9FT

PLEASE READ THE INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS FOUND AT http://bit.ly/delykfxi.  Also, read all release notes.

mth5044

I will defintiely be giving this a try this weekend. If t does half of what you say, I'll still be very happy. Thanks for sharing!

J0K3RX

Very cool! SQL express.. I will check it out when I get home!
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

daleykd

Yeah.  The XP/Vista 'version' uses old school SQL Express 2008.  However, Win7+ uses SQL Express 2014 LocalDB, which is pretty awesome, cause it's such a tiny install.  It even allows you to use SQL Server Management Studio with it if you dare modify the DB directly.

CodeMonk

This intrigues me quite a bit.
I still do a bit of programming myself now and then.
Did it for a living for awhile, now I just do little apps for myself now and then.

I've been programing with Delphi mainly since Delphi 2 came out.
Only made it up to Delphi 6, but despite what Windows 7 says, you can get it to run under Windows 7 (takes a few tricks to get it to work though).

I wrote and app 10+ years ago to keep track of all my passwords. Really simple copy logon id and paste into web page (although I originally wrote during my IRC days) and same for the passwords.
Now I'm modifying it to be more idiot proof because I'm tired of having to reset my moms bank passwords every damn month. I've literally had to reset her passwords at least 10 times this year alone. And she'll still probably find a way to screw it up even with this modded app.

I've also got a couple of pedal related apps in mind that I plan on doing somewhere down the road.
If I can find my copy of Kylix (Basically Delphi made for Linux. But mine is an early version though, It came free with one of the versions of Delphi) somewhere I can also make a Linux version of any of them.
But that's going to have to be done after I catch up with a commitment I have with another user here first.

I think you inventory app is a GREAT idea.

If I can dig up my copy of Kylix

stallik

Guys, risking telling my grandmother how to suck eggs, if you're interested in building apps with a single code which will run on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Unix, Raspberry and Web, checkout Livecode. It's been around for donkeys years and started life as metacard if I recall correctly. Recently, they went open source and have a FREE community version available which has no restrictions though the source code must be shared.
Coding language is English, development is very rapid, community support is incredible, you can build on Mac or PC for all devices and its remarkably powerful. Over the years, I've created 100's of apps and programs using it ranging from simple utilities to complicated systems incorporating PC, Mac, iOS, Android, web etc all talking to each other in live time.
Worth checking out if you get the time.
livecode.com

And thanks for sharing your work with us  :)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Ice-9

Great idea Kyle and thanks for sharing, I will try it out, I don't know if it has built in reminder nag window but if not it would be good to have a user settable alarm nag that when you are down to x amount of a part it reminds you that you might want to order the parts.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

daleykd

Thanks for the comments, guys.

@CodeMonk, I've never even touched Delphi.  I did use a language, once, that was based on it.  It was... different.

@stallik, I appreciate the link and info.  If I had time in my personal life to learn another language, I might.  But with a 2 year old and the desire to have another kid, my life doesn't allow for much free time.  Since I never intended for this app to make it this far, I stuck with what was quick and easy for me.  And I have to admit, I think the results are great (especially since I can legally use a 3rd party data grid).

@Ice-9, one other person mentioned something like that before.  After you use the app a bit, give me some more thoughts on how and when to implement it in the process.

I sadly got little feedback from my Facebook forum.  So, I really have no grasp of how/if people are using this.  I'm hoping to get some feedback/constructive criticism to try and enhance this product a bit.  I have a few more ideas for it before I consider it v1, but we're getting there.

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

CodeMonk

Quote from: daleykd on May 15, 2015, 09:21:33 AM
Thanks for the comments, guys.

@CodeMonk, I've never even touched Delphi.  I did use a language, once, that was based on it.  It was... different.

@stallik, I appreciate the link and info.  If I had time in my personal life to learn another language, I might.  But with a 2 year old and the desire to have another kid, my life doesn't allow for much free time.  Since I never intended for this app to make it this far, I stuck with what was quick and easy for me.  And I have to admit, I think the results are great (especially since I can legally use a 3rd party data grid).

@Ice-9, one other person mentioned something like that before.  After you use the app a bit, give me some more thoughts on how and when to implement it in the process.

I sadly got little feedback from my Facebook forum.  So, I really have no grasp of how/if people are using this.  I'm hoping to get some feedback/constructive criticism to try and enhance this product a bit.  I have a few more ideas for it before I consider it v1, but we're getting there.

That probably would have been Pascal.
Delphi is called Object Pascal. Borland no longer owns it.
I saw an early Alpha version of what would be called Delphi 2 at a small computer store (they called it Delphi 95 ATM), and fell in love with it)
Its kind of similar to an advanced version of Basic as far as syntax goes but with the power of C++ (And in some cases, can be more powerful and actually run faster than C++ apps).
And after getting the hang of it, development time can be cut by as much as half compared to C++.
And its actually and truly an OOP language.
Developing your own reusable objects can be pretty cool sometimes.
I've only played around with C# a few times (And just as an FYI, the same guy that created Delphi (Anders Hejlsberg), also created C#).

And like any language, it can be a pleasure to work with and a nightmare.

@ stallik, sounds interesting, but kind of like daleykd, I don't really spend enough time programming anymore to delve into another language, at least not right now.
I've got to many other things I have to devote my time to ATM, but it does sound like a promising idea if I ever get the free time to check it out, I will.

Thanks for the idea.

stallik

Totally understand about learning another language. That's what the attraction of livecode is for me. It's all in English!
Will certainly post feedback on the app and thanks again for sharing it.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

daleykd

I'm working on version 0.5.0.0.  Anyone have something I can try to squeeze in?

dpapak

Wow! Your idea is brilliant! I allready see that it will reduce my time spent on ordering parts and prevent  a lot of mistakes.

If you are interested, I can help you to port it to Java or even Web+Android+iOs.

Brisance

Damn conspiracy! I had this idea some time ago and everyone went "Excel tables are just fine!"

daleykd

@dpapak - I hope it helps you out!  As for dev for Java/Web, I had planned on doing web, but didn't want to deal with hosting, etc.  If this program ever goes somewhere, I'll hit ya up.

@Brisance - Sorry man.  A lot of people told me the same, and it's what I had used, but my Excel skills were not up-to-speed, and I wanted to do more with it.  Some guys in the Facebook forums had asked what others use for this, so I figured I'd take a stab at it.  Didn't realize I'd be working on it for almost 2 months.  Didn't mean to steal your thunder.  FWIW, the quantity of responses/feedback has been dismal.

stallik

Been there so many times. Don't get too disheartened by the response. People are getting lazy when it comes to giving praise but seem to remain eager to criticise. Constructive criticism is great as it shows interest and improves the product but most simply say nothing. Your app is really good, and is likely to be cherished by some though you may never hear about it. Keep going.. Please

Brisance

daleykd

Well, damn.  http://www.ecdb.net/ doesn't look half bad.  Yeah, I see what you mean in regards to the folks on this forum saying spreadsheets are sufficient.  I say "I disagree."  So, whatever. :)  My app has greatly helped ME with ordering.  I guess that's what matters. :)

ImNotThrasher

Hey, Im using your software, great work, sometimes I have some errors but the program is working most of the time. I wondering if there is a stable website for new info or updates. Other thing Im going to ask you, if there is a way that I can save all my database, and then take it back on the program on other computer or after format.

ImNotThrasher

Quote from: daleykd on May 20, 2015, 11:15:10 AM
Well, damn.  http://www.ecdb.net/ doesn't look half bad.  Yeah, I see what you mean in regards to the folks on this forum saying spreadsheets are sufficient.  I say "I disagree."  So, whatever. :)  My app has greatly helped ME with ordering.  I guess that's what matters. :)
I tried ECBD before your software, its a cool tool but t seems that the fields for adding a component is maybe too weird and its a little laggy too. Other thing I saw is that it has 4 currencies only, and it doesnt have the one I need (ARS). And for the last thing, the creators websites doesnt work so im scared that ECDB can go down as well, with all my data... Theres when I download your program, and I really like it, is better than I expected, friends of mine are really impressed with your work, please keep the project alive and updated.