Wtf? Look at these Electrolytics I just got.

Started by MikeH, December 21, 2006, 09:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeH

Where's the negative side?  They have a "negavitve stripe" on them, but it doesn't indicate any direction.  It looks like this is maybe the outer-wrap for a radial cap?  All of the other electrolytics I have,l have the positive side where the groove is, is that always the case?  Is there any other way to tell which side is negative?

"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

darron

yeah. that's weird, and there's a bulb at one end like a radial one. since there doesn't seem to be ANYTHING else to go by, i'd GUESS that the left side is negative?

i don't have an answer. i just wanted to confirm that it looks weird! :P
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

KerryF

Hmmm most axials have arrows.  Use a multimeter.  Im pretty sure the bulb side is negative (-)

Mark Hammer

I have a number of electrolytics that I bought surpluis over the years, and they sit unused in my bin because I have no way of figuring out which side is negative/positive.  For the very same reasons: the package is VERY ambiguous.

So, how DO you identify polarity with a meter...or any other method?

birt

on every axial electrolytic i have the + is the side where the body has that curve
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

Paul Marossy

Quoteon every axial electrolytic i have the + is the side where the body has that curve

+1

Mark Hammer

amz-fx

The aluminum can is almost always the negative side.  This is probably the end opposite the groove. 

regards, Jack

MikeH

And of course I picked these up to work on a Compressor, which uses about a hundred of these, so it's not like I can just solder one in and see if it works or blows up or whatever.  That aside, the electrolytics I have that actually have the arrow, all show the groove side as positive and the bulb side as negative, so I think it's a safe assumption.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Tubebass

Quote from: amz-fx on December 21, 2006, 10:27:47 AM
The aluminum can is almost always the negative side.  This is probably the end opposite the groove. 

regards, Jack
And isn't the + side usually a black rubber plug?
More dynamics????? I'm playing as loud as I can!

jaytee

Just confirming what someone else said. The end with the waist and rubber plug will be positive, the other end connected to the can will be negative. Looks like they ran out of sleeving for axial caps.  ;D

Alex C

I just got a few like this from Mouser the other day.

I'm glad this was posted, I wouldn't have known what to do with 'em.

analogguru

Quote....I picked these up to work on a Compressor, which uses about a hundred of these....

can you post a schematic of this compressor ?

I guarantee you, after assembling 50 pcs you should have learnt to know the correct orientation.

Thats the positive on European schematic symbols: for an elko - is black, an + is empty (white), like the waist of the elko.

analogguru

Fuzzy-Train

I've used a couple of those for a FF, and my octavia... the negative side is the side with the bulb.... that's the side where all my arrows are pointing so...
THERE IS NO SIG.

The user formerly known as NoNothing.

Stuff I built!
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Cpt_sergeant/?start=allRandom